This coffee cake has a crunchy shortbread topping, pecans, and a layer of fruit.
It is a favorite of mine! And of Bill’s, and he just asked for it again!
Add a layer of any fruit on top of the batter. I’ve done strawberries, then a pear one, once a combination one, and this one pictured has mandarin oranges. Whatever I feel like! They all come out delicious! I like to use fruit combinations!
It makes an 8-inch cake, a perfect size, not too big! You can use an 8-inch round or square pan. I like to use an 8-inch spring form pan, but it is not necessary.
A lot of people like the crunchy shortbread topping! I like the added fruit a lot! and…the great thing…. no preservatives like the coffee cakes you buy!
I’ve used fresh fruit or canned fruit that is drained. If you use canned fruit, it is important to PAT THE FRUIT with paper towels.
Crunchy Top 8-inch Coffee Cake with Fruit
FOR THE CAKE:
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
FOR THE FRUIT LAYER;
- 2 cups fruit fresh, sliced; or 1 can (15 ounces) any fruit, drained, and the fruit patted dry
FOR THE TOPPING;
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup pecans chopped, or nuts of your choice
- dash confectioner's sugar to sprinkle on top
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Grease or spray an 8-inch square or round pan.
- Mix all cake ingredients together by hand or with a mixer. Pour the cake batter into a greased 8-inch pan. (I like to use an 8-inch spring-form pan for this, but it is not crucial. You can carefully invert the cooled cake from a regular 8-inch pan, then turn it over again into a serving plate.)
- Place the fruit in a layer all over the top of the batter. Set this aside to make the topping.
- With a mixer, beat all the topping ingredients together to form a dough. Now with your hands, rub the dough into tiny crumb pieces and spread the crumbs all over the fruit layer.
- Bake at 375°F. for 25-30 minutes.
- Cool the cake in the pan on a wire rack,. Invert it onto a wire rack, then invert it again onto a serving plate. S prinkle the top with confectioner's sugar.
- Store the cake covered on top of the counter.