My fast, easy Tortellini Alfredo has a light cheese sauce that uses only Romano cheese and it is so delicious! No heavy cheese sauce! And you make it in under 10 minutes while the tortellini is boiling! I change up the veggies in it to whatever I feel like. Sometimes I might add in some cubed ham or chicken. This version has the traditional peas, but I added fresh spinach and mushrooms. I’ve tried other recipes, but I go back to this one I’ve been using for over a decade, the taste is so light and good! Serves 3 or 4. Enjoy!
- 1 package (14-19 ounces) frozen cheese tortellini, or your choice of filling
- 1/2 cup onion, sliced
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1-1/2 cup frozen peas, or vegetables of your choice
- 1 package (8-12 ounces) fresh baby spinach (I like to cut off the stems, but you can leave them.)
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups (1 pint) heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3/4 cup Romano cheese, grated
- 1. Boil the tortellini as directed on the package.
- 2. While the tortellini is boiling, in a large skillet, saute the onions in the butter just until soft, not brown.
- 3. Add in the frozen peas, fresh baby spinach, and mushrooms and stir a few minutes until the spinach is tender.
- 4. Stir in the heavy cream, black pepper, and Romano cheese until it’s heated through.(about a minute or 2.)
- 5. Drain the tortellini and add it to the cream sauce. Serve with additional grated cheese, if desired.