Want something new to do with a CAN OF BEETS?
I found a great recipe from B. Baumgardner of North Carolina in a Cooking for One or Two Book. It is DELISH! Love it!
I did make a few changes of my own from her original. I made the sauce a little thicker and I also added the raisins to cook IN the sauce to soften them a bit instead of adding them at the end.
Orange juice, brown sugar, raisins, beets…. what’s not to love!
It is so quick to make!
Try it, I think you will like it!
Beets with Orange Sauce
Try something a little different with a can of beets! This is a delicious recipe with beets, brown sugar, orange rinds, raisins….. what's not to love?! YUM!
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3/4 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons golden raisins or dark
- 1 can(15 ounces) beets sliced, drained (8¼ ounce can was in the original recipe)
- a few orange peel strips or grated orange peel
- 1. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, cook and stir orange juice, brown sugar, butter, cornstarch, ginger, salt, black pepper, and raisins until it thickens.
- 2. Add the beets and heat it through for a minute or two.
- 3. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the orange strips.
- 4. Serve immediately.
LEFTOVERS? Simply reheat them in the microwave for a few minutes.
Calories: 109kcal | Carbohydrates: 19g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 10mg | Sodium: 131mg | Potassium: 144mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 16g | Vitamin A: 172IU | Vitamin C: 14mg | Calcium: 17mg | Iron: 1mg
Oh Jerry loves beets. Will have to try it.Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy S9.
We both love beets too! This is a delicious change! Let me know if he likes it!