“Want something new to do with a CAN OF BEETS? I found a great recipe from B. Baumgardner of North Carolina in a Cooking for One or Two Book. It is DELISH! I only made it a little thicker from her original. I also added the raisins to cook in the sauce to soften them a bit instead of adding them at the end. Orange juice, brown sugar, raisins, beets…. what’s not to love! It is so quick to make! Try it, I think you will like it! Enjoy!”
Servings: 2 or 3
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3/4 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons golden raisins, or dark
- 1 can (8 -1/4 ounces) sliced beets, drained ( I used a 15 ounce can; perfectly fine)
- strips of orange peel
- 1. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, cook and stir orange juice, brown sugar, butter, cornstarch, ginger, salt, black pepper, and raisins until thick.
- 2. Add the beets and heat through.
- 3. Remove from the heat and stir in the orange strips.