“Asked on a Saturday Morning for many a year….”What do you want for breakfast?” The most popular answer whatever the age: “Puffy French Toast!” When you can’t decide whether you want pancakes or french toast, you ask for puffy french toast. They are very filling so there is one per serving. I tried to encourage Bill to only eat one, but he was pretty insistent on two! It’s been a while since this indulgence!
They freeze very well. Just pop in the toaster or toaster oven from the freezer.
I discovered this recipe around the early 1970’s and have varied the pancake batter to whatever I feel like… from scratch, or from a pancake mix. This uses the ‘just add water type’ pancake mix so it is real easy and comes out great!
If you’ve never tried this get ready for a delicious over-the-top, special treat for breakfast! Enjoy!”
1 cup ‘just add water type’ pancake, waffle mix
3/4 cup water
1/4 cup butter or margarine
4 slices white bread, or bread of your choice
1. In a large bowl, mix the pancake mix and water together. (Follow the directions from whatever brand of pancake mix you are using.)
2. In a large skillet or griddle, melt the butter over medium heat until it sizzles.
3. Dip bread slices into pancake batter.
4. Carefully place the bread slices into the skillet and fry the bread slices for a few minutes until the bottoms are light brown.
5. Flip the puffy french toast over and fry for another minute or two.
Puffy French Toast
Servings Per Recipe: 4
Amount Per Serving: 1
Calories from Fat: 125
* % Daily Value *
* Total Fat 14g 21%
* Saturated Fat 8g 42%
* Cholesterol 30mg 10%
* Sodium 695mg 29%
* Total Carbohydrates 38g 13%
* Dietary Fiber 0g 0%
* Protein 5g 9%
* Sugars 5g
* Vitamin A 8%
* Vitamin C 0%
* Calcium 10%
* Iron 9%
* * Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.