I asked on a Saturday Morning for many a year….”What do you want for breakfast?” The most popular answer, whatever the age: “Puffy French Toast!”
When you can’t decide whether you want pancakes or french toast, ask for Puffy French Toast and you’ll get both!
They are very filling so there is one per serving! I try to encourage Bill to only eat one, but he is pretty insistent on two!
I discovered this recipe around the early 1970’s. I have used a boxed pancake mix or a pancake batter from scratch and they both work great!
If you’ve never tried this before, get ready for a delicious, over-the-top, special treat for breakfast!
See more pictures of Puffy French Toast in the slideshow below.
Puffy French Roast
- 1 cup pancake mix your choice
- 3/4 cup water ( or milk. Follow your pancake instructions.)
- ½ cup butter
- 4 slices bread your choice
- In a large bowl, prepare the pancake mix. Set aside.
- In a large skillet or griddle, melt the butter over medium heat until it sizzles.
- Dip the bread slices into pancake batter.
- Carefully place the bread slices into the skillet and fry the bread slices for a few minutes until the bottoms are light brown.
- Use a pancake turner to flip the bread slices over and fry for another minute or two until the bottoms are light brown.
- Serve immediately.
Wow, this was my first try at using pancake mix for French toast… and my husband loved it! All I added was a teaspoon of vanilla extract and a touch of cinnamon. They were amazing! They cooked up nicely too.. “Fluffy AND Puffy!” Two left over in the freezer, for another easy breakfast!
So happy you tried it and enjoyed it!