“The combination of chicken salad and a thinly sliced apple makes a great tea sandwich or even just a regular sandwich! Pepperidge Farm bread is a good choice because the slices are thin and sturdy, and they have enough width to cut out two shapes from one slice. You can make these ahead of time the night before or the same day you serve them using this tried and true method at the bottom of the recipe that really works. No soggy sandwiches with this little trick. Enjoy!”
2 chicken breasts, boiled and cooled
1 celery stalks with leaves if possible
3 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 apple, sliced thinly
8 slices thin white bread, or any other type Pepperidge Farm bread
3 tablespoons butter, for spreading
1. In a food processor, chop chicken breasts, celery with the celery leaves, and onion so that it is all finely minced together.
2. Add the mayonnaise and mix well.
3. Cut the crusts from the around the bread.
4. With a shaped cookie cutter, cut two shapes from each slice of bread or just cut one slice of bread in half. ( For the sandwiches in the picture I used a heart shape cookie cutter, and another heart shape with a smaller heart cutout in the center for the top half. Then I cut apple hearts with the skin showing to place in the cutout part of the small heart.)
5. Lightly butter each bread shape or slice.
6. Add a layer of sandwich filling onto one of the halves of bread.
7. Put one apple slice on top of the sandwich filling.
8. Place the other half of the buttered slice on top of the apple. The buttered bread helps the apple slice to stay in place.
9. Cut the bread slices into any shape you wish: use various shaped cookie cutters or slice the bread into rectangles, triangles, or squares.
10. Serve immediately.
11. Or you can store the sandwiches the day before you serve them this way: Place the sandwiches into a container.
12. Lightly sprinkle water onto paper towels using just a few drops.
13. Put the slightly damp paper towels right over the sandwiches.
14. Then put a layer of wax paper over the paper towels.
15. Cover the container and keep refrigerated until ready to serve.
Chicken Apple Tea Sandwiches
Amount Per Serving: 1 sandwich
Calories from Fat: 88
* % Daily Value *
* Total Fat 10g 15%
* Saturated Fat 4g 18%
* Cholesterol 20mg 7%
* Sodium 329mg 14%
* Total Carbohydrates 19g 6%
* Dietary Fiber 2g 7%
* Protein 5g 9%
* Sugars 1g
* Vitamin A 3%
* Vitamin C 9%
* Calcium 4%
* Iron 5%
* * Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
I too love apples in recipes! 🙂 Now if I have just a regular chicken salad sandwich, I want to put in a few sliced apples just like these tea sandwiches.
Oh, they look so pretty and sound delicious. I love fresh apples in recipes. Thanks.