“Basmati rice sautéed with tiny bits of veggies is a side dish everyone seems to love. It is simple to make and because of all the added veggies and so little oil, it does not give you that heavy feeling that happens when you eat other rice dishes.
The secret to this dish is to mince the vegetables the same size as the rice! Instead of using a food processor, which cuts the veggies a little too small, I use the Progressive Chopper to get even, neat little squares of the veggies so they are all uniform in size. You could cut the veggies by hand but the Progressive chopper makes this a quick and easy job ending with great results!
You could also add some beans, chicken chunks, shrimp, or any other protein meat for a delicious one-dish meal. Change up the rice to any kind you like; I happen to really like the nutty flavor of Basmati. I love using this veggie combo the best, but you can also vary the vegetables, just make the minced veggies equal to 1 cup. This healthy side dish is SO tasty and it has a pretty low calorie count for a 3/4 cup serving! Enjoy!”
2 tablespoons canola oil, or oil of your choice
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
3/4 cup Basmati rice, raw (3 cups cooked)
1/4 cup minced onion
1/4 cup minced carrot
1/4 cup minced broccoli
1/4 cup minced red or green bell pepper
1/2 tablespoon dried parsley, or 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
1/2 teaspoon salt
1. In a medium pan, cook the rice in salted water according to your package directions until it is tender. Drain the water and set aside the rice. (Or you can use minute rice to save time.)
2. Mince the veggies, keeping them the same size as the rice.
3. Steam the veggies in the microwave for 5 minutes until they are semi-soft. Set aside.
4. In a large skillet sauté the oil, garlic and black pepper until the garlic is golden.
5. Add the rice to the skillet along with the veggies. Add the parsley and ½ teaspoon of salt. Sauté everything together for about two minutes to mix it all together and get it nice and hot.
6. Serve immediately.
Basmati Rice with Minced Vegetables
Servings Per Recipe: 4
Amount Per Serving: 3/4 cup
Calories from Fat: 63
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 7g 11%
Saturated Fat 1g 3%
Cholesterol 0mg 0%
Sodium 312mg 13%
Total Carbohydrates 26g 9%
Dietary Fiber 1g 5%
Protein 1g 2%
Vitamin A 21%
Vitamin C 23%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.