There are so many versions of stuffed peppers! Some people put in ground meats of all kinds. Ground turkey is great and reduces the calories too. Ground beef or sausage is delicious to use! Some like tomato sauce, or fresh tomatoes inside the stuffing or on top, or salsa.
Everyone has a favorite way to make them! Only ketchup, Basmati rice, onion, salt and pepper make up the flavor for the inside of this easy, tasty, low-calorie version. The ketchup has all the spices I need. I am not a fan of stuffed peppers with tomato sauce. And I don’t like them very spicy or with other vegetables in the filling either.
Use whatever rice you like. My favorite is Basmati rice for these.
We love these! I heat extra ketchup in the microwave to serve with them.
They are so delicious and they are not high in calories. One stuffed pepper is just 190 calories. Not too bad at all!
Stuffed Peppers ~LOW CALORIE
- 1 pound ground turkey or ground beef or ground sausage
- 1 onion finely chopped
- ¼ cup ketchup
- 6 bell peppers
- ½ cup rice raw
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- In a large pot, boil the rice in salted water until tender. Drain and set aside.
- Cut tops off the peppers and remove the seeds. Save the tops.
- In a large pot, parboil the peppers for 5 minutes to soften them. With tongs, remove the peppers and set aside. (You can soften the peppers in the microwave instead of parboiling them. Just put them upside down on a plate, cover, and microwave them for three to four minutes.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, sauté the ground beef and onions, finely chopping the ground beef with a chopping tool and cooking it until the beef is browned.
- Drain the grease.
- Add the cooked rice, ketchup, salt and pepper to the ground beef and onions.
- Stuff each pepper with the filling and place the peppers in a casserole dish. Add the top of the pepper with the stem if you wish.
- Pour about 1/3 cup of water in the bottom of the casserole dish.
- Cover with foil and bake at 350° for about 20 minutes until the peppers are tender.
- Serve with additional heated ketchup.