Lava Cakes! They are SO-OO Good! Skip the box mixes and frozen varieties of lava cakes, they are MUCH more delicious when you make them from scratch! And seriously, they take just minutes to make and bake! It couldn’t be any easier and you don’t have all the added preservatives from the mixes.
This is a super fast recipe!
I prefer a combination of bittersweet and semisweet chocolate, but if you have only the semisweet, they will still be amazing! I love using espresso powder with chocolate, it really enhances the chocolate in my opinion, but you can leave it out if you don’t have it.
When you dig in with your spoon, that very special, delicious chocolate filling oozes out like lava and it tastes just divine!
In the 1980’s the molten lava cake was first served in upscale NYC restaurants. Its popularity quickly spread across the country and to the rest of the world!
We can make this fabulous gourmet dessert quickly and easily at home!
Molten Lava Cakes
- 4 Ramekins or Oven-Proof Custard Cups 3/4 cup capacity
- 2 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- ½ cup butter
- 1 cup confectioner’s sugar
- ½ teaspoon espresso powder
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 6 tablespoons flour
- Preheat the oven to 425º.
- Spray or butter 4 ramekins or 4 oven-proof custard cups (3/4 cup capacity).
- Place them on a baking sheet.
- In the microwave melt the chocolate with the butter together in a large bowl on high for 1 minute, or until it is ALMOST melted.
- Remove it from the microwave and stir with a wire whisk until the chocolate is completely melted. You don’t want to overcook the chocolate mixture.
- Stir in the confectioner’s sugar and espresso powder until well-blended.
- Whisk in the eggs and egg yolks.
- Whisk in the flour.
- Divide the batter evenly into the 4 prepared ramekins or cups.
- Bake at 425º for 13-14 minutes, no longer! The sides should be firm and the center should be soft.
- Transfer the baking sheet from the oven to a wire rack and let them stand for 1 minute.
- Then carefully run a knife around the sides to loosen them.
- Using a potholder, invert the cakes onto your dessert dishes.
- Serve the lava cakes immediately plain or sprinkle the tops with confectioner’s sugar. These are wonderful too with whipped cream on top or ice cream and/or fruit!