A moist, triple chocolate zucchini muffin that gets the “YUM” approval from my chocoholic husband!
You really cannot taste the zucchini in them but it helps to make the muffins moist!
Bill’s suggestion for my trial tweaks with this was to add more chocolate chips, which I did.
The espresso powder in the batter is my tweak. It just enhances the chocolate. If you don’t have it, that’s okay. Just leave it out.
We think these are just perfect! You can use white chocolate chips if you don’t have the white baking chocolate.
The high oven temperature in the beginning eight minutes helps to make the muffins higher.
See more pictures in the slideshow below.
Triple Chocolate Mile-High Zucchini Muffins
- Muffin Tins
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup oil canola or vegetable
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder unsweetened (baking cocoa powder)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups zucchini (unpeeled) grated
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder
- 3½ cups chocolate chips mini, divided
- 3 ounces white chocolate coarsely grated
- Preheat the oven to 425°.
- Line 20 muffin tins with paper liners.
- In a mixer on medium speed, beat together the eggs, sugar, and oil.
- Beat in the cocoa, vanilla extract, and zucchini.
- On lowest speed, add the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and espresso powder and mix until well-combined.
- Fold in in just one and a half cups of the chocolate chips and 2 tablespoons of the grated white chocolate.
- Fill the prepared muffin tins almost to the top.
- Using the remaining two cups of chocolate chips, place a few chocolate chips on top of each muffin. Then sprinkle the remaining chopped white chocolate on top of each muffin.
- If you have sections of the muffin tins that are not used, fill them each with water half way up. This helps the muffins to have higher domes.
- Bake the muffins at 425° for 8 minutes, then lower the oven to 350° and bake for another 22 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Immediately remove the muffins from the pan and cool on wire rack.
- Store the muffins in a covered tin or pan on top of the counter.