“EASIER AND FOOLPROOF! Really a caramel apple pie, this famous apple pie from Allrecipes is really as good as everyone says it is! I made some personal preference changes and altered the technique quite a bit to make it EASIER AND FOOLPROOF!
I mix most of the syrup with the apples before putting it into the pie, then brush my kept-warm, reserved syrup over the rest over the top crust. This prevents the syrup from ever hardening and the top of the pie comes out prettier.
This pie firms up and actually tastes better the next day. Enjoy!”
2 rolls of refrigerated pie crust
8 cups granny smith apples, peeled and sliced
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/2 cup butter
3 tablespoons flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 425º.
2. Put the bottom pie crust into a 9-inch pie pan.
3. Roll out the top crust and cut wide lattice strips. You need to have them ready to put onto the filling quickly.
4. Put the sliced apples into a big bowl, sprinkle them with cinnamon. Using a spatula stir the apples so all are covered with the cinnamon.
5. Sprinkle the apples with the lemon juice and stir. Set aside.
6. Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
7. Stir in the flour and salt to form a paste. Put the bottom pie crust into a 9-inch pie pan.
8. Add the water, sugar, and brown sugar. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and let simmer for 2-3 minutes. (Keep it liquidy. Do not let it get hard!)
9. Remove ¼ cup of the syrup and place it into a very small pan and keep it warm on lowest heat.
10. Pour the remaining syrup over the apples, stirring quickly.
11. Quickly put the coated apples into the bottom crust.
12. Cover with the lattice strips, fold over the edges, and flute the edges.
13. Brush the rest of the reserved warm syrup on top of the lattice.
14. Cover the edges of the crust with a pie shield.
15. Bake for 15 minutes, then reduce the oven temperature to 350º and bake for 35-45 more minutes.
16. Let the pie cool on a wire rack, then store the pie covered in the refrigerator.
Grandma Ople’s Apple Pie-My Way
Servings Per Recipe: 8
Amount Per Serving: 1 slice
Calories from Fat: 220
* % Daily Value *
* Total Fat 26g 40%
* Saturated Fat 14g 70%
* Cholesterol 30mg 10%
* Sodium 359mg 15%
* Total Carbohydrates 65g 22%
* Dietary Fiber 4g 14%
* Protein 2g 4%
* Sugars 26g
* Vitamin A 8%
* Vitamin C 4%
* Calcium 0%
* Iron 1%
* * Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.