“Strufoli has to appear in our house sometime during the Christmas holiday, or someone will complain! These little fried nuggets of dough, sweetened with honey are in all the bakeries in December.
Our family’s homemade version has a sweetened dough, the honey mixture is softer, and the little nugget balls are made smaller compared to most strufoli you will find. Made this way is truer to the Naples version where it originated, rather than the way you will find it in the rest of Italy and in the bakeries here in America.
We shape them into a wreath, a tree, or a bell, but typically you will see it piled into a high mound. Buon Natale! Enjoy!”
4 tablespoons canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup sugar
3-1/2 cups flour
15 ounces honey
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1. DOUGH: In a large bowl mix the eggs, oil, vanilla extract, 6 tablespoons of sugar, and flour just until a crumbly dough forms. Do not over mix.
2. Working on a floured surface, take a small lump of dough and with the palms of your hands roll the dough into a long rope, about one-quarter inch in diameter.
3. Cut the rope into little nuggets about the size of chick peas.
4. Lightly flour a cookie sheet and spread the nuggets of dough so they won’t stick together.
5. Heat oil for frying in a deep fryer or in a heavy-duty pan on top of the stove to 400º. When the oil begins to bubble, place one nugget into the oil. If it floats to the top within five seconds, you know the oil is the correct temperature.
6. Place the nuggets of dough into the pan to cover the bottom and fry for just a minute until light golden brown.
7. Remove the strufoli from the oil and lay them out on a paper towel layered cookie sheet pan.
8. SYRUP: In a large pan, heat the honey, ¼ cup sugar, and cinnamon until it just begins to boil. Remove the pan from the heat.
9. Pour the fried strufoli into the pan, mixing well to cover all the nuggets with the honey mixture.
10. Transfer the strufoli to a serving plate and with your wet hands and a spoon shape the strufoli into a wreath or a tree or a bell, or just pile them into a high mound.
11. Garnish the top with sprinkles.
12. Store the strufoli covered on top of the counter.
Servings Per Recipe: 16
Amount Per Serving: 1/2 cup
Calories from Fat: 40
* % Daily Value *
* Total Fat 5g 7%
* Saturated Fat 1g 5%
* Cholesterol 36mg 12%
* Sodium 11mg 0%
* Total Carbohydrates 39g 13%
* Dietary Fiber 0g 0%
* Protein 4g 7%
* Sugars 19g
* Vitamin A 1%
* Vitamin C 0%
* Calcium 0%
* Iron 6%
* * Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.