“This famous apple muffin really is as good as everyone says it is! Cafes, bakery shops, and home bakers have their own variation of the Morning Glory. One thing in common to all is the muffin is packed with lots of carrots, apples, and nuts!
Most muffins are high in fat and calories so I made a few changes in the original Morning Glory recipe without sacrificing the great taste! I use applesauce instead of apple butter, I made a change in the oven temperature directions, and an increase in the amount of topping.
Everyone seems to rave about these muffins! One muffin for breakfast or snack is only 185 calories or 5 Weight Watcher Points. Enjoy!”
1- 1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1-1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon cinnamon
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups grated carrots
1 apple, peeled and chopped
1 cup raisins or craisins
2 egg whites
1/2 cup applesauce, unsweetened
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
4 tablespoons chopped walnuts
4 tablespoons wheat germ
1. Preheat oven to 425º.
2. Grease or spray 18 muffin cups or use paper liners.
3. In a medium bowl, mix together eggs, egg whites, applesauce, oil, and vanilla. Set aside.
4. In large bowl of mixer stir together the flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
5. Stir in the carrots, apples, and craisins.
6. Stir in the egg mixture until just moistened.
7. Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups filling almost to the top.
8. In a small bowl, combine the walnuts and wheat germ and sprinkle this over the tops of the muffins.
9. Bake for 8 minutes, then lower the oven temperature to 375º and bake for 7 to 12 more minutes or until a cake tester inserted in the middle comes out clean.
10. Cool muffins in the pan on a wire rack, then remove them from the tins.
11. Store muffins covered in a tin or dish on top of counter.
Angie’s Low Calorie Morning Glory Muffins
Servings Per Recipe: 18
Amount Per Serving: 1
Calories from Fat: 39
* % Daily Value *
* Total Fat 5g 7%
* Saturated Fat 1g 3%
* Cholesterol 8mg 3%
* Sodium 168mg 7%
* Total Carbohydrates 34g 11%
* Dietary Fiber 2g 6%
* Protein 3g 5%
* Sugars 21g
* Vitamin A 36%
* Vitamin C 1%
* Calcium 1%
* Iron 5%
* * Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.