“Venus de Milo Soup originated from the famous Venus de Milo Restaurant, Banquet and Wedding facility in Swansea, Massachusetts in the 1960’s.
This home-style soup is distinctive and easy to make and the restaurant owners happily gave out their recipe. So this quick and easy vegetable ground beef soup recipe spread quickly throughout bordering Rhode Island and southeastern Massachusetts and eventually across the entire country. Cooks have adapted it to their own personal preferences and to whatever is on hand in the kitchen. Today you will see many, many versions of this great soup on the internet. This is my easy, fast, and delicious way to make it.
A one-cup serving is only 148 calories or 4 Weight Watcher Points. I can eat two cups of this soup and I still consider it a very filling, low-calorie meal. Sprinkle some grated Romano cheese on top before serving, and that is what I call “gilding the lily!” Enjoy!”
1/2 pound ground beef
5 cups water
1 package onion soup mix
1 (14.5 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
1 cup tomato sauce
1 (14.5 ounce) can mixed vegetables, undrained
1/4 pound elbow pasta, raw
1. In a large pot, brown the ground beef, using a masher to make the ground beef pieces very small. Drain any excess fat.
2. Add in the water, onion soup mix, stewed tomatoes, tomato sauce, and the mixed vegetables, including the liquid from the can.
3. Bring this to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for about 10 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, cook the pasta in a separate pan, drain, and then add it to the soup.
5. Serve with grated Romano cheese.
Angie’s Venus de Milo Soup ~ Low Calorie
Amount Per Serving: 1 cup
Calories from Fat: 15
* % Daily Value *
* Total Fat 5g 8%
* Saturated Fat 3g 15%
* Cholesterol 18mg 6%
* Sodium 451mg 19%
* Total Carbohydrates 18g 6%
* Dietary Fiber 3g 11%
* Protein 8g 15%
* Sugars 5g
* Vitamin A 54%
* Vitamin C 18%
* Calcium 4%
* Iron 10%
* * Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.