A FAST, EASY VEGETABLE AND GROUND BEEF SOUP favorite recipe of so many people! It is also called VENUS DE MILO SOUP because it originated from the famous Venus de Milo Restaurant, Banquet and Wedding facility in Swansea, Massachusetts in the 1960’s.
This delicious soup is so EASY to make! Everyone loves it! It looks hard, but it isn’t!
The restaurant owners happily gave out their recipe and it spread quickly throughout Rhode Island and southeastern Massachusetts and eventually the recipe swept across the entire country.
Typically, Venus de Milo soup is with elbow pasta and mixed vegetables. You can certainly change the pasta shape and the can of vegetables. Sometimes I if I want it more like a hearty soup, I will add a little more or ground beef or pasta. But most of the time I use the exact measurements and ingredients.
Cooks have adapted it to their own personal preferences in many ways, many times according to what they happen to have at the time. But the base of the soup is the same. Today you will see many versions of this great soup on the internet.
It is also low in calories, too!
It is really so good!
See more pictures in the slideshow below.
Venus de Milo Soup~A Vegetable Ground Beef Soup
- ½ pound ground beef
- 1 can (15 ounces) stewed tomatoes or diced tomatoes
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 can (15 ounces) mixed vegetables with the juice
- 1 pkg. (1.9 ounces) onion soup mix dry
- 4 cups water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ½ pound pasta elbows
- FOR THE PASTA:
- Fill a medium pan with about 12 cups of water and on the stove over high heat, bring the water to a boil. Add the 2 teaspoons of salt and the elbow pasta, stirring occasionally and cooking until the pasta is tender.
- FOR THE SOUP BROTH:
- While the pasta is cooking, sauté the ground beef in a large soup pot, chopping it into very small pieces until it is browned and cooked.
- Remove the ground beef from the heat and drain the fat ( if you have any) in a colander.
- Return the ground beef to the pan.
- Add in the 4 cups of water, onion soup mix, stewed tomatoes, tomato sauce, and mixed vegetables. Also add the juice from the can of mixed vegetables.
- Stir and bring the soup to a boil; reduce the heat to very low and let it simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Remove the soup from the heat.
- Drain the pasta and add it to the soup pot.
- Serve with grated Romano or Parmesan cheese.