“A “from scratch” red velvet recipe” that is the only way to go if you want red velvet! The box mix comes out too dry and tasteless while these live up to its name and are rich and velvety.
When you add the baking soda on top of the vinegar, you will get a fizzing reaction.
You can make this recipe as a cake using a 13x9x2″ pan or 2 nine-inch layer pans, just adjust the baking time. Enjoy!.”
Servings 24 Cook Time: 15 minutes
1- 1/2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon baking cocoa
1 ounce red food coloring
2 -1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon white vinegar
2. Put cupcake liners into cupcake pans.
3. In large bowl, beat together shortening and sugar.
4. Add eggs, beat well.
5. In a small bowl, mix together cocoa and red food coloring and add to mixture.
6. In a medium bowl, combine flour and salt
7. Add alternately with the buttermilk and vanilla.
8. Lastly, fold in baking soda and white vinegar. ( It will fizz and poof.)
9. Fill cupcake liners three-quarters full.
10. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until a cake tester inserted comes out clean.
11. Immediately remove to a wire rack to cool.
12. Frost as you wish.
Nutritioinal Information: Red Velvet Cupcakes
Serving Size: 1 cupcake
Servings Per Recipe: 1/24
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat: 76
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat 8g 13%
- Saturated Fat 2g 11%
- Cholesterol 12mg 4%
- Sodium 154mg 6%
- Total Carbohydrates 22g 7%
- Dietary Fiber 0g 0%
- Protein 2g 4%
- Sugars 12g
- Vitamin A 0%
- Vitamin C 0%
- Calcium 1%
- Iron 3%
- * Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.