This New York Cheesecake has a chocolate or graham cracker crust, a creamy filling, a sour cream topping , and a cherry topping.
It is the REAL DEAL! So creamy, so delicious!!!
Take your time making it, it has a few important steps to follow, but they are not hard!
The springform pan is placed on top of a cookie sheet to bake to assure a creamy filling.
Instead of chocolate crumbs for the bottom layer, you can substitute with whatever cookie crumbs you like.
The cherry pie filling on top is optional. You can change the pie filling flavor to what you like or top with plain fruit. If you use plain fruit, brush some melted apple or apricot jelly over the fruit to keep it fresh looking.
It is a good idea to wipe the knife with a damp paper towel as you cut slices to keep the slices clean looking.
See some steps how to make it in the slideshow below.
New York Cheesecake
- 10-inch springform pan
- cookie sheet
- 1 ¼ cup chocolate wafers crushed or graham cracker wafers
- 1/3 cup sugar
- ½ cup butter melted
- 16 ounces cream cheese softened
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 eggs beaten
- ½ cup evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
SOUR CREAM TOPPING:
- 2 cups sour cream
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 can (21 ounces) cherry pie filling
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- CRUST: In a small bowl mix the crust ingredients and press it into the bottom and up one-quarter of the way up the sides of a 10-inch springform pan. Put the springform pan into the freezer for 15 minutes while you make the filling.
- FILLING: With a mixer on medium speed, beat the cream cheese, sour cream, and sugar until creamy.
- Mix in the eggs.
- Mix the evaporated milk and lemon juice together in a small bowl. On lowest speed, add it to the filling mixture and blend well.
- Pour the filling mixture into the prepared crust.
- Place the springform pan on a baking sheet and bake at 350° F. for 35-40 minutes or until the center is almost set. It should jiggle a little in the middle when shaken. Remove the pan from the oven to add the Sour Cream Topping.
- SOUR CREAM TOPPING: In a small bowl, mix the Sour Cream Topping ingredients. Spread it on top of the baked cheesecake. Return the cheesecake to the oven and bake it on the cookie sheet for 10 more minutes.
- Remove it from the oven. Remove the cookie sheet and place just the springform pan on a wire rack.
- Run a thin sharp knife around the rim of the pan to separate the cheesecake from the side of the pan to be easier to remove the cheesecake from the pan when it is cooled.
- Set the cheesecake on a wire rack for at least an hour, then cover it and refrigerate it 8 hours or overnight.
- FRUIT TOPPING: Spread the cherry pie filling on top after it has completely chilled. I like to leave a rim of the sour cream topping showing.
- Store the cheesecake covered in the refrigerator. When ready to serve, unlock the sides of the springform pan. Keep the cheesecake on the bottom of the pan, and place that onto a serving plate. As you slice the cheesecake, wipe the knife between each slice with a damp paper towel to keep the slices clean.