From Betty Crocker, this moist, flavorful zucchini banana cake needs no fork! It is more like a SNACK CAKE that you pick up with your hands. I cut the 8-inch square cake into 16 pieces instead of 9. That way the squares are small and sturdy enough to pick up. It works great! Plus there is a bonus: smaller squares means lower calories!
I love that the cake is not overpowered with a lot of cinnamon or spices. There is just enough, so you can really taste the zucchini and bananas!
See how easy it is to make in the slideshow below.
Zucchini Banana Cake Squares with Cream Cheese Frosting
From Betty Crocker, this is a moist, flavorful zucchini banana cake that needs no fork! It is really a snack cake. The squares are small and sturdy enough to pick up with your hands. Not overly spiced, you can really taste the zucchini and bananas!
- 8-inch square cake pan
FOR THE CAKE:
- 1 ½ cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup bananas ripe, mashed (about 2)
- 1 cup zucchini shredded ( 1 medium)
- 1 egg
- ½ cup oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
FOR THE FROSTING:
- 4 ounces cream cheese softened
- 4 tablespoons butter softened
- 1 cups confectioner’s sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or paste
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Grease or spray an 8×8-inch square pan then line it with parchment paper.
- FOR THE CAKE: In a large bowl, mix the flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In another small bowl mix the egg, oil, and vanilla extract. Then mix in the bananas, Then mix in the zucchini. Add this mixture to the dry ingredients.
- Spread the batter evenly into the prepared pan.
- Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a cake tester inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Cool the cake in the pan on a wire rack for an hour, then remove parchment paper and place the cake on a flat surface to frost it and then cut into squares.
- FOR THE FROSTING: With a mixer on medium speed, beat all the frosting ingredients until smooth. Spread the frosting on top of the cake. Optional: Sprinkle chopped nuts on top. Cut the cake into 16 squares.
- Cover and store the cake squares in the refrigerator.
SHREDDING: A food processor is the easiest way to shred the zucchini, or you can use a hand grater to shred it also. BANANAS: Overripe bananas give great flavor! I put bananas that are soft in the freezer to use for baked goods. I put the frozen bananas in a dish in the microwave for a minute to soften them. OPTIONAL: * Add 1 cup chopped nuts to the batter! And/or add chopped nuts on top of the frosting. * You can omit the cream cheese frosting and leave the cake plain or just sprinkle the top with confectioner’s sugar.
Calories: 247kcal | Carbohydrates: 32g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 6g | Trans Fat: 0.1g | Cholesterol: 25mg | Sodium: 167mg | Potassium: 83mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 22g | Vitamin A: 221IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 29mg | Iron: 1mg