The Kraft Company came out with a Chicken and Stovetop Stuffing Bake recipe years ago and it is SO EASY and delicious!
I’ve used this recipe with variations for years. Prepared the original way, without variations, it a ONE-DISH meal to prepare in less than ten minutes.
SOME VARIATIONS I DO:
* Their original recipe did not include vegetables, which I add.
*Broccoli goes well with the sour cream gravy, so I often put in a few pieces, raw, chopped small, with the other vegetables.
*Sometimes I put a layer of any kind of sliced cheese over the chicken.
*If I have more time, I will sauté the chicken pieces in oil/butter for a few minutes to brown the chicken. (I like this!)
*I season the chicken pieces with salt, pepper, and sometimes a dash of poultry seasoning.
*I like to add sliced onions sometimes to the vegetables.
*If I have time, I will add onions, celery, butter, and maybe some bread pieces to the stuffing.
Use your favorite stuffing brand, or make your own. Use any vegetables you wish, or leave them out and serve them on the side. Change the condensed soup too to any other cream one you like.
This makes a delicious chicken and stuffing casserole, original or with variations!
See the steps in the slideshow below.
Chicken and Stuffing Bake
- 1⅔ cups water hot
- 1 package 6 ounces Chicken Stuffing Mix, any brand
- 1 to 1½ pounds chicken breasts boneless, cut up into small bite-size pieces
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- 1 cup mixed vegetables frozen or canned, drained, optional
- 1 can 10 ¾ ounces condensed cream of chicken soup
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- Preheat the oven to 400.
- In a medium bowl, add the hot water to the stuffing mix and stir until just combined. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix the condensed soup and the sour cream.
- Season the chicken pieces with salt and pepper, and any other spices you want. Place them in a 2quart casserole dish, or 13×9-inch pan.
- Spread the vegetables over the top.
- Spread the soup mixture over the top.
- Spread the stuffing over the top.
- Bake at 400 for 30 minutes.