Everyone knows how to make Rice Krispie Treats!
But I found out that if you use a WHOLE STICK of butter (8 tablespoons) instead of just 3 tablespoons of butter like the original recipe on the box, the Rice Krispie Treats come out softer and very buttery! I think they taste SO MUCH BETTER!
Before I had the recipe committed to memory, I asked my neighbor, (a long time ago!) Susan P. if she knew the recipe. She goes, (her exact words) “Oh just melt a stick of butter with some marshmallows and pour in some cereal!” That is what got me started using one stick!
They are so good with more butter!
BUT….one thing I found out about Rice Krispie Treats. You have to use a name brand Rice Krispies cereal. I use Kellogg’s. The generic brands just don’t taste right to me. AND ….you have to use FRESH cereal! Don’t even bother using any cereal that has been sitting around a while! Kellogg’s or not! It will make the treats taste stale!
The Rice Krispie Treats in one picture above are decorated for Halloween. They make a great addition to any holiday dessert table just by changing the candied sprinkles. I do that all the time! They are fun to cut into holiday shapes too.
Hundreds of recipes for variations on Rice Krispie treats have been developed over the years! Chocolate ones, peanut butter, smores, shapes, shapes on a stick, frosted ones, and on and on!
Have you noticed that Rice Krispie Treats are not just for the little ones? NO-O! I see a lot of ADULTS reaching for these! And they go back for a second one!
See the steps in the slideshow below.
BUTTERY Rice Krispie Treats
- 6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 1/2 cup butter
- 10 ounces marshmallows about 40 or 5½ cups miniature marshmallows
- candied sprinkles optional
- Butter or spray a 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan.
- If you are using candied sprinkles on top, have them ready before you start to cook. You have to sprinkle them on top while the mixture is still stickly.
- In a large pan on the stovetop, melt the butter over low heat.
- Add the marshmallows and stir until they are all melted, and the mixture is creamy.
- Remove from the stove and add the Rice Krispies cereal. Use a large spoon to mix it well.
- Quickly spread the mixture into the prepared pan. Use wet hands to press it down evenly.
- Add candied sprinkles on top if you’d like. Do it quickly before it sets!
- Cool. Cut into squares.