This is one of my favorite holiday pies! It is such a tasty combination! I have tried several recipes for this pie, and combined some techniques and ingredients to come up with the way I like it. To me, this is my best way. Cooking the filling for a few minutes beforehand makes it a success every time!
I like it with lowered sugar and more cranberries to really be a nice balance of tart and sweet. Some just are too sickenly sweet for me. You can use refrigerated pie crust rolls or make your own pie crusts. Decorate the top with mini cutters to make an even nicer presentation! Enjoy!
1 cup walnuts,coarsely chopped
1-1/2 cups cranberries
1 cup water
6 cups apples, sliced thin
3/4 cup sugar, (scant)
2 tablespoons flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon butter
2 rolls of refrigerated pie crusts
1 tablespoon water
1/8 cup milk
2 tablespoons coarse sugar, (or regular granulated sugar)
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
Roll out 1 refrigerated pie crust roll to about 12 inches. Place it into a 9-inch pie plate. Cut the edges of the crust to just about a half-inch over edge of the pie plate. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, mix together the apples, scant 3/4 cup sugar, flour, salt, cinnamon, and lemon juice. Set aside.
3. In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, cook, stirring constantly, the walnuts, cranberries, and the 1 cup of water for 7 to 8 minutes or until it has thickened and most of the water has evaporated.
4. Lower the heat to medium and pour in the apple mixture. Stir and cook all together for 1-2 minutes more.
5. Pour the filling mixture into the prepared unbaked pie shell.
6. Place small dabs of the butter over the filling.
7. Roll out the bottom pie crust to about 13 inches. Set aside.
8. Dip a pastry brush into the 1 tablespoon of water and dab around the edges of the bottom pie crust to moisten the edges so the top crust will stick to it better.
9. Cover the filling with the top crust.
10. Tuck the overflow edges of the top crust underneath the bottom edge of the crust and press and seal them together with your fingers.
11. Crimp the edges of the pie in any design you wish.
12. Use a pastry brush to brush some milk on top of the pie crust and then sprinkle with some coarse sugar.
13. Use a sharp knife to cut at least 6 small vents on top of the crust to release the steam as it bakes.
14. Use a pie shield to protect the edges of the pie.
15. Bake in the preheated 425-degree oven for 10 minutes, then lower the oven to 350 degrees and continue to bake for another 45-50 minutes.
16. Place the pie on a wire rack and remove the shield. Let it cool completely, then store the pie in the refrigerator.
Apple Cranberry Walnut Pie
Servings Per Recipe: 10
Amount Per Serving: 1 slice
Calories from Fat: 179
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 21g 32%
Saturated Fat 6g 32%
Cholesterol 3mg 1%
Sodium 229mg 10%
Total Carbohydrates 58g 19%
Dietary Fiber 4g 16%
Protein 2g 3%
Vitamin A 1%
Vitamin C 3%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.