Forget using chicken stock with seafood bisques or soups! Use fish stock! It will bring the wow factor way up and beyond! It definitely makes a world of a difference in my opinion!
And this bisque is not hard to make at all! You can use this with any fish or combination of fish you like, as long as one of your fish is a shellfish. This is a white bisque, NO tomatoes! Diners all over Long Island serve lobster bisque and all of them are delicious! Some are pink and some are white. A bisque like this recipe is my favorite.
I love these particular three vegetables minced very small for flavor and for just a little bit of color. Sometimes, depending on who I am serving, I add a kick of one-half cup of sherry or white wine! Your choice! Enjoy!
1 cup minced onions, (1 large)
1 cup minced celery, (2 stalks)
3/4 cup minced carrots
1 teaspoon minced garlic
4-1/2 cups water
1 teaspoon salt
2 lobster tails, uncooked
1 pound shrimp, uncooked
4 tablespoons butter
1/3 cup flour
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup whole milk
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
parsley for garnish
- Steam the celery, onions, carrots, and garlic in the microwave for 8 minutes or in a steamer on top of the stove. Set aside.
- In a large saucepot, add the water and salt, and bring it to a boil. Add the lobster tails and shrimp, and boil over medium-high heat for about 10 minutes.
- Drain the shellfish in a fine sieve so no loose shells go through, reserving the fish stock. Set these aside.
- When the shirmp and lobster tails have cooled down for a minute or two, (enough to handle), remove the shells, and cut the meat into one-inch chunks. Set aside.
- In a large saucepot, make a roux: melt the butter, then whisk in the flour to make a thick paste.
- Pour in 3 cups of the fish stock. Reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Add the heavy cream and milk, stirring to mix well.
- Add the lobster and shrimp meat, the veggies, Worcestershire sauce, cayenne pepper, and white pepper, (sherry or white wine, optional), stirring gently to mix.
- Let this simmer and meld together for 5 minutes.
- Garnish each serving with parsley flakes if you wish.
Shrimp and Lobster Bisque
Servings Per Recipe: 4
Amount Per Serving: 2 cups
Calories from Fat: 313
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 36g 56%
Saturated Fat 21g 103%
Cholesterol 268mg 89%
Sodium 1758mg 73%
Total Carbohydrates 19g 6%
Dietary Fiber 2g 9%
Protein 20g 36%
Vitamin A 85%
Vitamin C 12%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.