Forget using chicken stock with seafood bisques or soups! Use FISH STOCK! Boil the shrimp and lobster together and use that liquid for your bisque. It definitely makes a world of a difference in my opinion!
And this bisque is not hard to make at all! You can use this with any fish or combination of fish you like, as long as one of your fish is a shellfish.
This is a white bisque, NO tomatoes!
Diners all over Long Island serve lobster bisque and all of them are delicious! Some are pink and some are white. This white one is my favorite. You can have it any time at home!
I love these particular three vegetables minced very small for flavor and for just a little bit of color.
Sometimes, it depends who I am serving this to, I add a kick of one-half cup of sherry or white wine!
Shrimp and Lobster Bisque
- 1 cup onions minced (1 large)
- 1 cup celery minced (2 stalks)
- ¾ cup carrots minced
- 1 teaspoon garlic minced
- 4½ cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 lobster tails uncooked
- 1 pound shrimp uncooked
- 4 tablespoons butter
- ⅓ cup flour
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ½ cup whole milk
- ½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ¾ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
- parsley for garnish optional
- Steam the celery, onions, carrots, and garlic in the microwave for 8 minutes. Alternatively, steam them on top of the stove. Set them aside.
- Meanwhile put the water and salt in a large saucepot on top of the stove over high heat and bring it to a boil. Add the lobster tails and shrimp and let this boil over medium-high heat for about 10 minutes.
- Drain the shellfish in a fine sieve so no loose shells go through. Reserving the fish stock and set it aside.
- Let the shrimp and lobster tails cool down for a minute or two so you can remove the shells. Cut the seafood meat into one-inch chunks. Set it aside.
- In a large saucepot over medium heat, make a roux: melt the butter, then use a wire whisk to whisk in the flour to make a thick paste.
- Pour in 3 cups of the fish stock. Reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Add the heavy cream and milk, stirring to mix well.
- Add the lobster and shrimp meat, the veggies, Worcestershire sauce, cayenne pepper, and white pepper, (sherry or white wine, optional), stirring gently to mix.
- Let this simmer on low heat to meld the flavors together for 5 minutes.
- Garnish each serving with parsley flakes if you wish.