“Here is my version of Italian bakery raisin squares. I use mixed dried fruit instead of just raisins and I add a hint of orange. You can use any dried fruit combination you like! The crust is just perfect for this heavy filling! It is nice and sturdy and VERY tasty!
I say this is a special treat that is totally worth the effort! Enjoy!”
2 1/4 cups flour
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup shortening
1 small egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup milk, about (it depends on your egg size)
MIXED FRUIT FILLING:
3 cups water
3 1/2 cups mixed dried fruit, your choice
1 cup sugar
4 tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup orange juice
1 tablespoon orange peel
2 tablespoons milk
2 tablespoons sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350º.
2. FILLING: In a medium saucepan, boil the water.
3. In a small bowl, mix the sugar, flour, and salt together.
4. Add this to the boiling water along with the mixed fruit and cook until it’s thick and bubbly.
5. Remove it from the heat. Transfer it to a bowl, cover, and cool it in the refrigerator while you make the dough.
6. DOUGH: In a large bowl, mix the flour, the 1/3 cup of sugar, salt, and baking powder.
7. Cut in the shortening to the size of peas.
8. In a one-cup measurement, beat the egg and vanilla together then add enough milk to equal one cup.
9. Add this into the dry mixture and stir to form a dough.
10. Divide the dough into two balls.
11. Roll one ball of dough into a rectangle big enough to fit into a 9×13-inch pan and going about a quarter up the sides.
12. Spread the cooled mixed fruit filling onto the dough.
13. Roll the remaining ball of dough to fit on top of the filling, sealing the edges and then crimping them.
14. CRUST TOPPING: Brush the top crust with the 2 tablespoons of milk and then sprinkle the 2 tablespoons of sugar on top of the milk.
15. Bake for 25 minutes until the crust is golden.
16. Cool the pan on a wire rack before cutting and serving.
17. These are delicious plain, or you can frost the top with a confectioner’s sugar glaze if you wish.
18. Store the squares in the refrigerator.
19. These mixed fruit squares freeze very well !
Mixed Fruit Squares~Italian Bakery Style
Amount Per Serving: 1 square
Calories from Fat: 40
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 4g 7%
Saturated Fat 1g 6%
Cholesterol 7mg 2%
Sodium 140mg 6%
Total Carbohydrates 22g 7%
Dietary Fiber 0g 0%
Protein 2g 3%
Vitamin A 0%
Vitamin C 2%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.