“A sweeter, DELICIOUS lemon poppy muffin with lemon filling….it is so luscious!
Use any lemon filling you want.
OR…. use my favorite lemon filling on my website!! I got it from Wilton, the famous baking company. It is SO-O good!
Search Lemon Filling in the search box on my website to get that great recipe.
Lemon Poppy Muffin with Lemon Filling
- 1 ¼ cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- ½ cup butter melted
- 1 ½ cups lemon filling
- Preheat the oven to 400º.
- Spray or use cupcake liners on 12 muffin tins.
- In a large bowl, mix the sugar and lemon peel.
- Add in the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and poppy seeds just until mixed. Do not overmix. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the sour cream eggs, vanilla extract, lemon extract, lemon juice, and melted butter. Add this to the flour mixture and mix just until well-blended. Do not overmix.
- Pour the batter into the prepared muffin tins.
- Bake at 400º for 18 minutes or until a cake tester inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Immediately remove the muffins from the tin and cool them on a wire rack.
- When muffins are cooled, use a sharp knife to cut a circle into the top of the muffin, going down about half-way in the muffin. Remove the top.
- Fill the cavity with lemon filling.
- Cut off the cake part of the top piece you cut out and replace the cut-out circle top over the filling, pushing it down a little into the filling.
- Store the muffins covered in the refrigerator.