I really like this superb lemon filling recipe for cakes, cupcakes, and muffins!! It is from Wilton, the company that makes all the great baking accessories!
It is not overly sweet and it has a strong lemony taste. No need for lemon extract!
I like cooking the lemon peel with the filling rather than adding it at the end because it softens the peel.
Use a fine sieve to strain your lemon juice.
DO NOT use this recipe for pies and tarts!! They need a sturdy lemon filling with different ratios of ingredients.
BEST TIP: Using fresh lemons for the juice and zest makes all the difference in the world! It is SO worth the extra effort!
Lemon Filling~ for Cakes, Cupcakes, and Muffins
A superb lemon filling for cakes, cupcakes, and muffins from the Wilton Company! I love it!
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups cold water
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 6 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- In a medium saucepan combine the sugar, cornstarch, and salt.
- Whisk in the cold water until well-blended.
- Whisk in the egg yolks, lemon peel, and lemon juice.
- Place the pan on the stove over medium heat, whisking constantly until it begins to boil.
- Whisk and let it boil for one minute, then remove from the heat and stir in the butter.
- Pour the filling into a heat-proof dish and let it cool to room temperature without stirring.
- Store the filling covered in the refrigerator to chill before using.
FRESH LEMONS: Use fresh lemons! It makes all the difference!
Calories: 109kcal | Carbohydrates: 21g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 53mg | Sodium: 51mg | Potassium: 14mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 19g | Vitamin A: 110IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 8mg | Iron: 1mg
love lemon curd, pairs with so many things, thanks for sharing:)
That looks so good and would love it in a doughnut! or a cake! or a bowl ! 🙂
haha, Di! I am putting it into lemon poppy seed muffins today! Recipe coming. Yes, it is good enough to eat in a bowl! Thanks for commenting!
Go for it Selma! Sounds good! It is a great filling! 🙂 Thanks for commenting!
That looks really good! I can just imagine this sandwiched in a Victoria sponge!