“I really like this superb lemon filling recipe for cakes, cupcakes, and muffins from Wilton, the company that makes all the great baking accessories! It is not overly sweet and it has a strong lemony taste. No need for lemon extract!
I like cooking the lemon peel with the filling rather than adding it at the end because it softens the peel. Use a sieve to strain your lemon juice.
Do not use this recipe for pies and tarts. They need a sturdy filling with different ratios of ingredients.
Using fresh lemons for the juice and zest makes all the difference in the world! It is SO worth the extra effort! Enjoy!”
1- 1/2 cups sugar
4 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt
1- 1/2 cups cold water
4 egg yolks
2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
6 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons butter
1. In a medium saucepan combine the sugar, cornstarch, and salt.
2. Whisk in the cold water until well blended.
3. Whisk in the egg yolks, lemon peel, and lemon juice.
4. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly until it begins to boil.
5. Whisk and let it boil for one minute, then stir in the butter.
6. Pour the filling into a heat-proof dish and cool it to room temperature without stirring.
7. Store the filling in the refrigerator.
Servings Per Recipe: 16
Amount Per Serving: 1/8 cup
Calories from Fat: 23
* % Daily Value *
* Total Fat 3g 4%
* Saturated Fat 2g 8%
* Cholesterol 56mg 19%
* Sodium 50mg 2%
* Total Carbohydrates 21g 7%
* Dietary Fiber 0g 0%
* Protein 1g 1%
* Sugars 18g
* Vitamin A 2%
* Vitamin C 0%
* Calcium 1%
* Iron 1%
* * Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.