Homemade Pinwheels, just like the ones found in pizza places on Long Island and all over the boroughs of NYC! They can easily be made at home and personalized to whatever filling you crave!
You can add different veggies, different cheeses, or meats. Even chicken or ground beef would work. A dab of ricotta if you want. Pepperoni, or sausage is a typical filling offered at the pizza places.
This spinach/broccoli/mozzarella combo is my favorite.
Usually they are served with a small container of tomato sauce for dipping. They are so delicious!
See some steps how I make it in the slideshow below.
Spinach, Broccoli, Mozzarella Pinwheels
Add what YOU WANT to homemade Pinwheels! Here are the basic steps to making a pinwheel with any pizza dough, homemade or bought. Siimple ingredients! These are so-oo delicous!!
- 20 ounces spinach frozen
- 10 ounces broccoli frozen
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound bread dough
- 1½ cups mozzarella cheese grated or cut into small pieces
- Preheat the oven to 500º.
- Generously spray or grease a baking sheet.
- Boil or steam the frozen spinach and broccoli on the stovetop or in the microwave until they are cooked.
- Drain the spinach in a colander. Use your hands to squeeze all the water out. Drain the broccoli.
- Place the spinach and broccoli in a bowl and add the salt, pepper, garlic, and olive oil. Set aside.
- On a floured board or mat, roll the dough into a 14×16-inch rectangle.
- Spread vegetable mixture over the dough.
- Sprinkle the mozzarella on top of the vegetables.
- Cut the rectangle into sixteen 2×7-inch strips.
- Roll the strips into pinwheels. Pinch the ends if needed. Place the pinwheels cut-side down onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake at 500º for 12-13 minutes, until golden brown.
- Serve immediately.
- Store leftover pinwheels covered in the refrigerator.
VARIATIONS: Change this basic pinwheel recipe to use whatever filling you want. The method remains the same. DOUGH: It works with homemade bread dough or store-bought bread dough.
Calories: 142kcal | Carbohydrates: 16g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 8mg | Sodium: 342mg | Potassium: 265mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 3505IU | Vitamin C: 26mg | Calcium: 98mg | Iron: 1mg