“This is my favorite cinnamon bun recipe that I tweaked over the years until I was happy with it. Sweet and soft, filled with extra raisins, they are very hard to resist!
My recipe makes 9 large buns, or 12 medium buns, or 18 mini buns. It can also make 1 braided coffee cake, just adjust the baking time accordingly. To reheat the buns, microwave them for 20 seconds.
Just for fun I recently took a class in making cinnamon buns, but no, there are no shortcuts, and I liked these much better! Enjoy!”
1 (1/4-ounce) package active dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water
3/8 cup warm milk
1/2 cup butter, melted and cooled
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2- 1/4 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup raisins
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
3/4 teaspoon milk
1. In a small bowl, dissolve the yeast in the warm water and wait 10 minutes until it proofs.
2. In the large bowl of an electric mixer, using the normal paddle, on medium speed, mix the yeast mixture, warm milk, melted butter, egg, sugar, salt, and flour for about 3 minutes until a dough is formed.
3. Change to the dough hook, and knead the dough for 5-8 minutes. The dough should not be sticky. Add a little more flour if necessary. The dough should be soft, smooth, and elastic.
4. Grease or spray a medium bowl. Place the dough in the bowl, and turn the dough to coat both sides with the grease. Cover the dough with a damp cloth and let it rise in a warm place for about 2 hours or until doubled.
5. Punch down the dough with your fist to release air bubbles, cover with a damp cloth and let it rise again for 30 minutes.
6. On a floured board, roll the dough into a 14 x9-inch rectangle. (If you wish, you can brush the dough with a little melted butter, but it is not really necessary.)
7. Spread the filling over the dough, leaving a half-inch around the edges.
8. Brush one long edge with water or milk.
9. Starting at the longer side, roll the dough towards the moistened edge then press the seam to seal.
10. Cut the roll into 12 equal pieces.
11. Place the pieces cut side up, one inch apart into a greased 9-inch round or square pan.
12. Cover with a damp towel, and let them rise until almost doubled, about one hour. (At this point, you can refrigerate the buns for up to 24 hours.)
13. Lightly brush the buns with milk, and bake at 350º for 30-35 minutes, or until light brown and a toothpick inserted into a bun comes out clean.
14. While the buns are cooling, make the glaze by mixing together the confectioners’ sugar and the milk in a small bowl until you have a thick consistency.
15. Drizzle or spread the glaze over the cooled buns.
Cinnamon Raisin Buns
Servings Per Recipe: 12
Amount Per Serving: 1
Calories from Fat: 71
* % Daily Value *
* Total Fat 8g 12%
* Saturated Fat 6g 28%
* Cholesterol 33mg 11%
* Sodium 165mg 7%
* Total Carbohydrates 42g 14%
* Dietary Fiber 1g 2%
* Protein 3g 6%
* Sugars 24g
* Vitamin A 6%
* Vitamin C 0%
* Calcium 2%
* Iron 6%
* * Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.0