“Black and Whites, famous in New York City and Long Island delis, are really not hard to make and it is much cheaper than buying them! They are an expensive cookie to buy. Why not make them for so much less and get better quality? In case you are not familiar with these, the cookie base is soft and cake-like and the icing is somewhat similar to a fondant.
A Seinfeld episode on TV made these nationally popular. While at a bakery, Jerry used the cookie as a metaphor for racial harmony saying “Look to the cookie!”
If you don’t have the Fiori di Sicilia extract, no problem, just substitute lemon extract. Drop the batter by 2 tablespoons to make 26 very large Black and Whites or you can use one tablespoon of batter to make 52 mini ones. Enjoy!”
1 cup butter
1- 3/4 cups sugar
1 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon Fiori di Sicilia extract
2 -1/2 cups cake flour
2- 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup light corn syrup
1/2 cup water
5 cups confectioners’ sugar
2 ounces bittersweet baking chocolate
1. Preheat oven to 375º.
2. Grease cookie sheets.
3. In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar until fluffy.
4. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, mixing well.
5. Stir in the milk, vanilla extract and Fiori di Sicilia extract.
6. In a medium bowl, mix together the cake flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, and salt.
7. Add this to the creamed mixture and mix very well. The batter will be soft and creamy.
8. Drop the batter onto the prepared cookie sheets using 2 tablespoons for each cookie, keeping them 2 inches apart.
9. Bake for 20-30 minutes or until the edges begin to brown.
10. Immediately remove the cookies onto a wire rack to cool.
11. ICING: In a saucepan, heat the corn syrup and water to boiling.
12. Add the confectioner’s sugar and mix until thick and creamy.
13. Place one-half of the icing into a bowl and leave it white.
14. To the remaining icing in the saucepan, stir in the bittersweet baking chocolate until it is all melted.
15. Remove from heat.
16. Spread one-half of a cookie with chocolate icing and the other half with white.
17. When the icing is dry, lay the cookies flat in a container on top of the counter. Do not stack them.
New York Black and White Cookies
Servings Per Recipe: 26
Amount Per Serving: 1
Calories from Fat: 78
* % Daily Value *
* Total Fat 9g 13%
* Saturated Fat 6g 30%
* Cholesterol 42mg 14%
* Sodium 133mg 6%
* Total Carbohydrates 57g 19%
* Dietary Fiber 0g 1%
* Protein 3g 6%
* Sugars 38g
* Vitamin A 6%
* Vitamin C 0%
* Calcium 1%
* Iron 6%
* * Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Yummy cookies and yes I have that extract from KAF 🙂
Thanks for commenting, and don’t you just love that extract!!
Simple. I like them! Nice post. 🙂
Thanks so much!