“Pies to Go, turnovers, hand pies, whatever you want to call these, they are delicious! They are even easier to make when you use refrigerated pie crust rolls.
Substitute any other fruit or use canned pie filling you wish. I have fun making these. I love the red and blue fruit and stars for patriotic holidays. Enjoy!”
Servings: 6 Yield: 6 Hand Pies
2 rolls refrigerated pie crust dough
2 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
1 cup cut-up strawberries
2/3 cup blueberries
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 egg, beaten for egg wash
1 tablespoon coarse sugar to decorate
1. Set the pie crust rolls on the counter to bring them to room temperature.
2. In a small dish combine the 2 tablespoons of sugar and the cornstarch well. Set aside.
3. In a medium saucepan mix the strawberries, blueberries, sugar mixture, and lemon juice and cook over medium heat to thicken, about five minutes.
4. Transfer the mixture to a bowl and cool to room temperature.
5. Preheat the oven to 350º.
6. Grease or spray a baking sheet or line it with parchment paper.
7. On a floured board, spread out a pie crust roll. Roll it with a floured rolling-pin a few times to make it smooth.
8. Using a five-inch hinged turnover cutter, cut out a five-inch circle.
9. Cut out just one very small shape (I used stars) into the middle of the upper half of the circle, saving the small shape of dough to decorate the top of the hand pie.
10. Place the circle onto the cutter, lining up the cut-out shape in the middle of the top half of the cutter.
11. Place about 1 ½ tablespoons of the fruit filling into the bottom half of the hand pie.
12. Brush the edges of the turnover with some of the beaten egg to secure a seal.
13. Firmly close the cutter. Trim any edges of excess dough around the cutter.
14. Brush some beaten egg onto one side of a small cut-out dough shape and place the wet side on top of the hand pie for decoration.
15. Carefully transfer the hand pies onto the prepared baking sheet placing them two inches apart.
16. Brush the tops of the hand pies with the beaten egg and then sprinkle with a little coarse sugar or you can use regular granulated sugar.
17. Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until golden brown. If you see the edges are getting brown too quickly, cover the edges with strips of aluminum foil.
18. Transfer the hand pies to a wire rack to cool.
19. Store the hand pies covered in the refrigerator.
Strawberry Blueberry Hand Pies
Yield Per Recipe: 6 hand pies
Amount Per Serving: 1 hand pie
Calories from Fat: 164
* % Daily Value *
* Total Fat 19g 29%
* Saturated Fat 8g 41%
* Cholesterol 24mg 8%
* Sodium 274mg 11%
* Total Carbohydrates 46g 15%
* Dietary Fiber 1g 4%
* Protein 4g 7%
* Sugars 10g
* Vitamin A 1%
* Vitamin C 23%
* Calcium 1%
* Iron 2%
* * Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.