HAND PIES, TURNOVERS, PIES-TO-GO, whatever you want to call these, they are delicious!
A pie in your hand to eat neatly!
They are even easier to make when you use refrigerated pie crust rolls.
You need to get some hand pie molds. You can easily find many shapes to buy in Amazon.
Substitute any other fruit or use canned pie filling you wish.
I have fun making these!
I love the red and blue fruit and stars for patriotic holidays.
See pictures how to make them in the slideshow below.
Strawberry Blueberry Hand Pies
- Hand Pie Molds
- 2 rolls refrigerated pie crust dough
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1½ teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 cup strawberries cut into small chunks
- ⅔ cup blueberries
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 egg beaten for egg wash
- 1 tablespoon coarse sugar to decorate
- Set the pie crust rolls on the counter to bring them to room temperature.
- In a small dish combine the 2 tablespoons of sugar and the cornstarch well. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan mix the strawberries, blueberries, sugar mixture, and lemon juice and cook over medium heat to thicken, about five minutes.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl and cool to room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 350º.
- Grease or spray a baking sheet or line it with parchment paper.
- On a floured board, spread out a pie crust roll. Roll it with a floured rolling-pin a few times to make it smooth.
- Using a five-inch hinged turnover cutter, cut out a five-inch circle.
- Cut out just one very small shape (I used stars) into the middle of the upper half of the circle, saving the small shape of dough to decorate the top of the hand pie.
- Place the circle onto the cutter, lining up the cut-out shape in the middle of the top half of the cutter.
- Place about 1 ½ tablespoons of the fruit filling into the bottom half of the hand pie.
- Brush the edges of the turnover with some of the beaten egg to secure a seal.
- Firmly close the cutter. Trim any edges of excess dough around the cutter.
- Brush some beaten egg onto one side of a small cut-out dough shape and place the wet side on top of the hand pie for decoration.
- Carefully transfer the hand pies onto the prepared baking sheet placing them two inches apart.
- Brush the tops of the hand pies with the beaten egg and then sprinkle with a little coarse sugar or you can use regular granulated sugar.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until golden brown. If you see the edges are getting brown too quickly, cover the edges with strips of aluminum foil.
- Transfer the hand pies to a wire rack to cool.