“ A quick and simple New England version of the English shepherd’s pie I grew up with. It has no added spices, just salt and pepper and Gravy Master, simple but real good! A layer of vegetables on the bottom makes this a one dish meal.
I change it up sometimes substituting ground turkey or ground lamb, … really delicious! This one in the picture has string beans on the bottom but use any vegetables or mixture of vegetables you like. Peas, carrots, string beans, or corn work well.
It is very easy to make and we eat it right after it is assembled without baking it since everything is hot and we don’t like the top crispy or with cheese.
I give you instructions to put it into the oven if you like the potatoes on top to be crisp. You may wish to add some grated cheddar cheese on top during the last 10 minutes of baking.
If you don’t bake it, this qualifies for my SUPER FAST category! Enjoy!”
2 pounds ground beef
1 chopped onion
3 cups water
2 cups mashed potatoes
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon pepper
2 (14.5) cans drained vegetables, your choice
1/2 cup flour
1 cup water
1/2 teaspoon Gravy Master
1 teaspoon paprika
1. Preheat oven to 350º.
2. In a large pan over medium heat, sauté the ground beef with the chopped onions until the ground beef is chopped fine and cooked through.
3. Drain the grease very well.
4. Add the 3 cups of water.
5. Raise the heat to medium high and bring it to a boil.
6. Meanwhile in a small bowl, whisk the flour and the 1 cup of water to make a paste. (I use a disposable plastic cup to throw away for zero cleanup!)
7. Add the paste to pan, lower the heat to medium, and stir for a few minutes.
8. Add the salt and pepper.
9. Stir in the Gravy Master until mixed and remove from heat.
10. Cover the bottom of a medium-sized casserole dish, about 11×7 inches, with the drained veggies.
11. Spread the ground beef mixture on top of the veggies.
12. Spread the mashed potatoes on top of the ground beef mixture, sprinkle with paprika and serve immediately.
13. Or if you want a crispy top, bake in a 350° oven for about 20 minutes.
14. Sprinkle lightly with paprika before serving.
New England Shepherd’s Pie
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat: 50
* % Daily Value *
* Total Fat 19g 29%
* Saturated Fat 12g 60%
* Cholesterol 70mg 23%
* Sodium 688mg 29%
* Total Carbohydrates 20g 7%
* Dietary Fiber 2g 7%
* Protein 22g 41%
* Sugars 0g
* Vitamin A 5%
* Vitamin C 7%
* Calcium 0%
* Iron 12%
* * Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.0