A quick and simple New England version of the English shepherd’s pie I grew up with. It has no added spices, just salt and pepper and Gravy Master, simple but real good!
A layer of vegetables on the bottom makes this a one dish meal.
I change it up sometimes substituting ground turkey or ground lamb, … really delicious! This one in the picture has string beans on the bottom but use any vegetables or mixture of vegetables you like. Peas, carrots, string beans, or corn work well.
It is very easy to make and we eat it right after it is assembled without baking it since everything is hot and we don’t like the top crispy or with cheese.
I give you instructions to put it into the oven if you like the potatoes on top to be crisp. You may wish to add some grated cheddar cheese on top during the last 10 minutes of baking.
If you don’t bake it, this qualifies for my SUPER-FAST category! Enjoy!
Shepherd’s Pie, A New England Way!
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups mashed potatoes cooked, instant or from scratch
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cans (14.5 ounces each) vegetables, drained. Your choice of vegetables 14 ounces each vegetables, drained, your choice of vegetables.
- ½ cup flour
- 1 cup water
- ½ teaspoon Gravy Master
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- (Preheat the oven to 350º if you are baking it).
- In a large pan over medium heat, sauté the ground beef with the chopped onions until the ground beef is chopped fine and cooked through.
- Drain the grease very well.
- Add the 3 cups of water to the meat mixture in the pan
- Raise the heat to medium high and bring it to a boil.
- Meanwhile in a small bowl, whisk the flour and the 1 cup of water to make a paste. (I use a disposable plastic cup to throw away for zero cleanup!)
- Add the paste to the pan, lower the heat to medium, and use a wire whisk to stir it for a few minutes.
- Add the salt and pepper.
- Stir in the Gravy Master until it is mixed and remove the pan from heat.
- Cover the bottom of a medium sized casserole dish with the drained veggies. You can mix your vegetables, or put one vegetable on one side of the pan and the other vegetable on the other side of the pan, for picky vegetable eaters!
- Spread the ground beef mixture on top of all the vegetables.
- Spread the mashed potatoes on top of the ground beef mixture.
- Sprinkle the top lightly with paprika before serving.
- Optional: if you want to bake the casserole for a crispy mashed potato top, bake at 350º for 20 minutes.