“The Americana Hotel in New York City made this no-bake, stove- top rice pudding recipe famous. My version is plain, their version had orange in it. JELL-O also marketed Americana Rice Pudding for a long time. Today there are rice pudding bars in NYC with all sorts of flavors that look like an ice cream shop or a yogurt bar! No fancy, crazy-named flavors here! This old-fashioned taste is simple, yet delicious and creamy.
I know it is tricky to stop cooking it when you still see how runny the pudding is. If you find your pudding ends up too thick after it has been in the refrigerator, then you cooked it too long. Don’t despair! A simple fix is to stir in some milk and it will be just fine!
Everyone’s lowest setting on the stove is different, so it takes practice to know what “somewhat liquidy” means! I usually go no longer than 10 minutes after I add the egg yolks. Sometimes if I have it on hand, I will use heavy cream instead of light cream or milk with the yolks. Then I will only cook it no more than 5 minutes after I add the egg yolks to the rice mixture.
You can add raisins right in the first step if you’d like. More often than not, I have to double this recipe! Enjoy!”
4 cups milk
1/2 cup long-grain rice
3/4 cup sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 cup light cream or milk
2 egg yolks
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1. In a large pan, scald the milk.
2. Mix in the sugar and salt, and cook uncovered, stirring occasionally, on the lowest heat until the rice is tender, about 20-30 minutes. It will still be quite liquidy. You can also do this step in a double boiler, but cover it because the heat is lower; and it will take a little longer for the rice to be tender.
3. In a small bowl, mix the cream and egg yolks.
4. Whisk about one cup of the hot milk mixture into the egg yolks mixture to temper the egg yolks.
5. Stir the egg yolk mixture into the rice mixture in the pan and cook on lowest heat until it thickens, about 10 minutes, no longer than 20 minutes. Do not overcook it at this step. It should still be “somewhat liquidy”, but that is okay. It firms up in the refrigerator.
6. Stir in the vanilla extract.
7. Pour the rice pudding into a dish and let it cool to room temperature. Cover it and store in the refrigerator.
8. Sprinkle with cinnamon just before serving.
Rice Pudding Americana
Servings Per Recipe: 8
Amount Per Serving: 1/2 cup
Calories from Fat: 45
* % Daily Value *
* Total Fat 5g 8%
* Saturated Fat 3g 16%
* Cholesterol 22mg 7%
* Sodium 118mg 5%
* Total Carbohydrates 33g 11%
* Dietary Fiber 0g 1%
* Protein 5g 9%
* Sugars 24g
* Vitamin A 4%
* Vitamin C 3%
* Calcium 19%
* Iron 2%
* * Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.