This classic dish has gone through many versions and updates over the years.
Here is the classic and tasty version of Chicken á la King I grew up with. We like it served plain like this. Sometimes I add vegetables to the cream sauce, but most often I add vegetables as a side dish to this.
If you have cooked chicken ready, this takes no more than ten minutes to prepare!
It is a great recipe to make with leftover rotisserie chicken!
Chicken á la King
- ½ cup butter
- ¾ cup flour
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1½ cups milk
- 1¼ cups chicken broth
- 2 cups chicken cooked and cut into chunks
- Make a roux: In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the flour, salt, and pepper until it makes a roux (paste).
- With a whisk, stir the milk and chicken broth into the roux until it is smooth.
- Add the chunks of cooked chicken and let it cook two minutes more to heat the chicken through, stirring constantly.
- Serve the Chicken á la King over the toasted bread of your choice.