“This is another oldie but goodie recipe. My Aunt Gloria used to make this often and I loved it. To me, it is the best cranberry bread recipe and I have tried many others! This recipe will make three mini loaves if you prefer. Just adjust your baking time shorter. Enjoy!”
Servings: 10 Cook Time: 60 minutes
2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
¼ cup shortening
¾ cup orange juice
1 tablespoon orange rind, grated
1 egg, beaten
2 cups cranberries
½ cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Grease or spray a 9x5x3 inch loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Cut in shortening to resemble cornmeal. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine orange juice, orange rind, and egg.
- Add to dry mixture. Do not overbeat.
- Gently fold in cranberries and walnuts.
- Spoon into the prepared loaf pan.
- Spread corners and sides slightly higher than the center.
- Bake 350° for 60 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean.
- Cool on wire rack.
- With a knife loosen the cranberry bread around the edges of the pan.
- Invert it onto the wire rack, and invert onto a serving plate.
- Store the cranberry bread covered in aluminum foil or in a tin on the counter.
Nutritional Information: Cranberry Bread
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat: 83
* % Daily Value *
* Total Fat 9g 14%
* Saturated Fat 2g 8%
* Cholesterol 14mg 5%
* Sodium 372mg 15%
* Total Carbohydrates 59g 20%
* Dietary Fiber 2g 7%
* Protein 3g 5%
* Sugars 39g
* Vitamin A 0%
* Vitamin C 10%
* Calcium 1%
* Iron 6%
* * Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.