This is my version of my mom’s spinach pies. I added sugar and eliminated oil. Sometimes my mom would add sliced black olives. That is good too!
I like Italian Spinach Pie this way because of the touch of sweetness from the little bit of sugar in the filling and the raisins.
She put a little oil in the filling, but I eliminate it to keep the calorie count down and I don’t miss it!
Italian Spinach Pie
- 20 ounces spinach frozen
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon garlic minced
- ¾ cups raisins
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 pound bread dough
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Grease or spray or line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Boil or microwave the spinach and with your hands, squeeze out all the water to get it good and dry. Put the spinach in a large bowl.
- Add the salt, pepper, garlic, raisins, and sugar.
- On a floured board, roll out the bread dough into a 12 x 8-inch rectangle.
- Spread the spinach filling over dough.
- Roll the dough like a jelly roll, starting from the long edge and shape into a loaf.
- Tuck the loaf end edges underneath and transfer the loaf to the prepared pan with the seam side down.
- Bake the spinach pie at 350° for 20 – 30 minutes until it is brown on the bottom.
- Cool the spinach pie in the pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes, then transfer the loaf to a wire rack to finish cooling.
* * Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.