“This is my version of my mom’s spinach pies. I added sugar and eliminated oil. Sometimes my mom would add sliced black olives. I like Italian Spinach Pie this way because of the touch of sweetness from the little bit of sugar and the raisins.
There is no oil in the filling which keeps the calorie count down. If you cut the loaf into ten pieces then each slice is happily only 55 calories and 2 Weight Watcher points. Enjoy!”
Servings: 10 Oven Time: 20-30 minutes
20 ounces frozen spinach
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon minced garlic
3/4 cup raisins
2 teaspoons sugar
1 loaf bread dough
1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. Lightly grease or spray a baking sheet pan.
2. Boil spinach and squeeze out all the water. Put spinach in a large bowl.
3. Add salt, pepper, garlic, raisins, and sugar.
4. On a floured board, roll out bread dough into a 12 x 8 inch rectangle.
4. Spread the filling over dough.
5. Starting at the longer side, roll dough like a jelly roll.
6. Moisten your fingertips and press edges together at the seam.
7. Place seam-side down onto prepared baking sheet pan.
7. Bake for 20 – 30 minutes, or until it is golden brown on bottom.
8. Cool in pan for 15 minutes, then transfer loaf to a wire rack to finish cooling.
9. Store covered in aluminum foil in refrigerator.
Nutritional Information: Spinach Pies with Raisins
Serving Size: 1/10 of recipe
Servings Per Recipe: 10
Amount Per Serving: 1 slice
Calories from Fat: 1
* % Daily Value *
* Total Fat 1g 2%
* Saturated Fat 1g 5%
* Cholesterol 1mg 0%
* Sodium 284mg 12%
* Potassium – – %
* Total Carbohydrates 13g 4%
* Dietary Fiber 3g 13%
* Protein 3g 5%
* Sugars 11g
* Vitamin A 1%
* Vitamin C 1%
* Calcium 2%
* Iron 3%
* Thiamin – %
* Niacin – %
* Vitamin B6 – %
* Magnesium – %
* Folate – %
* * Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.