“Italian Egg Biscuits are such a nice cookie, not too sweet on the inside but always frosted on top. Subtle flavorings vary for inside the dough, just plain, or lemon or orange. This recipe has a hint of orange in the dough, but not in the frosting, so the orange taste is very slight.
Some recipes roll them into balls, but I prefer to make a log and then twirl it into a circle to get a cookie in layers, which I think is so much better.
It is a very easy cookie to make. It is common to see the dough colors and candy sprinkles changed for the holidays throughout the year. Enjoy!”
Servings: 48 Bake Time: 10 minutes
5 cups flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup sugar
1 cup oil
½ cup orange juice
2 tablespoons orange rind
2 ½ cups confectioner’s sugar
2 tablespoons water
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Grease or spray cookie sheets.
- In a large bowl, mix all ingredients together to form a dough. It will be sticky.
- Flour your hands and take a small walnut-sized piece of dough and shape it into a four-inch log.
- Twirl the log into a circle and place on prepared cookie sheet two inches apart. The cookies increase in size in the oven.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until light brown on the bottom. Do not over bake.
- Immediately remove cookies to a wire rack to cool.
- In a small bowl combine the confectioner’s sugar and water. Adjust the water to the thickness you want for the frosting.
- Decorate the cookies with candy sprinkles.
- Let frosted cookies dry for 30 minutes on a wire rack.
- Store cookies in a single layer in a covered pan or tin on the counter. It is better not to stack the cookies while in storage for a nicer presentation when you want to use them. Although you can stack them for a short while for your presentation. Frosted cookies will stick to each other if stacked for a long time.
Nutritional Information: Egg Biscuits
Servings Per Recipe: 48
Amount Per Serving: 1
Calories from Fat: 47
* % Daily Value *
* Total Fat 5g 8%
* Saturated Fat 1g 6%
* Cholesterol 12mg 4%
* Sodium 70mg 3%
* Total Carbohydrates 20g 7%
* Dietary Fiber 0g 0%
* Protein 0g 1%
* Sugars 10g
* Vitamin A 0%
* Vitamin C 1%
* Calcium 0%
* Iron 3%
* * Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.0