Butternut Squash is naturally sweet and it makes a wonderful pie! I like it better than Pumpkin pie!
I bake the fresh butternut squash so it peels easily and then I puree it. You can use the canned or frozen squash istead if you want.
Squash pie is delicious!
See my steps how to make it in the slideshow below.
Butternut Squash is so naturally sweet, it make a great pie! I like it better than pumpkin pie! It is not hard to make at all. If you've never had it, try it!
- 9-inch Pie Plate and Pie Shield
- Food Processor or Blender
- 1½ cups butternut squash peeled and cooked
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 egg
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch ginger
- pinch nutmeg
- pinch cloves
- pinch allspice optional
- 1 unbaked pie shell 9-inch
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Make a water bath by placing the butternut squash in a 13×9-inch pan. Fill the pan with water halfway up.
- Bake the squash for 30 minutes or more, depending on the size of your squash. You should be able to put a fork through the squash.
- Remove the squash from the pan and place it on a cutting board to easily peel off the skin.
- Discard the pulp and the seeds. Remove the squash flesh with a spoon, measuring out 1-1/2 cups.
- In a blender, mix the butternut squash, brown sugar, cornstarch, egg, evaporated milk, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves, and the optional allspice if you are using it.
- Puree it until it is smooth and there are no lumps.
- Pour the filling into the unbaked pie shell. Cover the edges of the pie with a pie shield.
- Bake at 350° for 45-50 min. or until a knife inserted halfway between the crust and the center comes out clean.
- Cool the pie on a wire rack.
- Store the squash pie covered in the refrigerator.
ALLSPICE: If you like a lot of spice, add in the optional allspice. (I don’t) PINCH: A pinch is generally defined as 1/16 teaspoon. LEFTOVER PUREED SQUASH? You can freeze it for 6-12 months. Another idea is to save it to make a squash casserole as a side dish
Calories: 269kcal | Carbohydrates: 45g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 4g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 30mg | Sodium: 138mg | Potassium: 255mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 30g | Vitamin A: 2898IU | Vitamin C: 6mg | Calcium: 129mg | Iron: 1mg