Butternut Squash is naturally sweet and it makes a wonderful pie! I like it better than Pumpkin pie!
I bake the fresh butternut squash so it peels easily and then I puree it. You can use the canned or frozen squash istead if you want.
Squash pie is delicious!
See my steps how to make it in the slideshow below.
- 9-inch Pie Plate and Pie Shield
- Food Processor or Blender
- 1½ cups butternut squash peeled and cooked
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 egg
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch ginger
- pinch nutmeg
- pinch cloves
- pinch allspice optional
- 1 unbaked pie shell 9-inch
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Make a water bath by placing the butternut squash in a 13×9-inch pan. Fill the pan with water halfway up.
- Bake the squash for 30 minutes or more, depending on the size of your squash. You should be able to put a fork through the squash.
- Remove the squash from the pan and place it on a cutting board to easily peel off the skin.
- Discard the pulp and the seeds. Remove the squash flesh with a spoon, measuring out 1-1/2 cups.
- In a blender, mix the butternut squash, brown sugar, cornstarch, egg, evaporated milk, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves, and the optional allspice if you are using it.
- Puree it until it is smooth and there are no lumps.
- Pour the filling into the unbaked pie shell. Cover the edges of the pie with a pie shield.
- Bake at 350° for 45-50 min. or until a knife inserted halfway between the crust and the center comes out clean.
- Cool the pie on a wire rack.
- Store the squash pie covered in the refrigerator.