SAUSAGE AND PEPPERS is VERY EASY to make this way!
MY SISTER PAT taught me years ago about her great technique of using just tomato paste, which was new to me! We start with tomato paste and just add a little touch of sauce after an hour. It is so-oo delicious!! The tomato paste makes its own sauce with the steamed peppers in the oven.
You can use more peppers if you want and really mound up the dish because the peppers steam down.
I love to use crumbled sausage. If I buy links of sausage I just remove the casing. But you can cut the links into chunks if you prefer. Sometimes I add sliced onions if I feel like it.
You can freeze leftovers for another time. This freezes very well.
We vary the sausage too. Try it this method with chorizo sausage sometime! It is really tasty!
In fact, I think Pat makes it more with chorizo than the Italian sausage!
There are pictures of the steps a few times I’ve made it in the slideshow below.
Sausage and Peppers ~ A Delicious, Easy Way!
- 13×9-inch Pan
- aluminum foil
- 9 bell peppers any color
- 1 pound Italian sausage sweet or hot, or ground sweet or hot sausage, or chorizo sausage
- 6 ounces tomato paste plain, or tomato paste with spices
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar (optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350º.
- Slice the peppers. Place them in a 9×13–inch pan. The peppers will be a high mound but they will cook way down.
- If you are using sausage links, remove the casing from the sausage. Crumble the sausage over the peppers and stir to mix the sausage in between the peppers. Or you can use ground sausage. Or you can keep the casing on and slice the sausage.
- Place dollops of tomato paste all over the top.
- Cover the pan loosely with aluminum foil and bake for 1 hour.
- Lift the foil, add the tomato sauce, brown sugar if you using it, salt and pepper. Stir to mix well. Replace the aluminum foil loosely and bake for another 15 minutes or until peppers are tender.
- Let it cool for 2 or 3 minutes before serving.