Bill is a huge fan of French Onion Soup and he saw a French Onion Soup Chicken recipe that he asked me to try. I think I found a better one, and it’s a lot faster and easier too.
I just doubled the sauce.
This tender chicken, French Onion Soup style, is real easy to make in a slow cooker.
It is so tasty and I love it too! Bill thought it was fabulous!
It was delicious served with rice! There is plenty of yummy gravy!
French Onion Chicken in a Slow Cooker
This recipe is so tasty and a great way to have chicken with practically no work using the slow cooker!
- 2 chicken breasts boneless and skinless
- 1 onion large, thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 14 ounces beef broth
- ½ cup white wine
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 4 slices Swiss cheese thin slices
- parsley chopped for garnish
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, melt the butter and sauté the onions just until golden.
- Remove them from the skillet and put them in the slow cooker.
- Put the chicken breasts in the same skillet and brown them on both sides, just for a few minutes.
- Remove them from the skillet and add them to the slow cooker.
- Add in the beef broth, white wine, garlic, salt, and black pepper and stir.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on low heat for 4 hours.
- Remove the chicken to a plate and set aside. Transfer the broth and onions in the slow cooker to a large skillet on the stove.
- Raise the heat to high and with a wire whisk, stir in 2 tablespoons of flour to thicken the gravy.
- Add the chicken to the skillet and put 2 thin slices of Swiss cheese on each chicken breast.
- Cover the skillet for a minute or two until the cheese has melted. Garnish with chopped parsley.
This is delicious over rice!
Calories: 710kcal | Carbohydrates: 14g | Protein: 61g | Fat: 40g | Saturated Fat: 22g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 10g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 236mg | Sodium: 2121mg | Potassium: 1124mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 1054IU | Vitamin C: 8mg | Calcium: 360mg | Iron: 2mg
Trying it tonight, it looks wonderful !!