“ Pepperidge Farm Dark Date Nut Bread was one of the few sweet breads I would buy, and they discontinued it many years ago. I have bought other ones, but none compared. I tried quite a few recipes but have not been happy until I found this one, which I tweaked a bit. It is not as dark, but it is moist and delicious! I like to hand chop the dates and nuts to make larger chunks. Enjoy!”
1 ½ cups (8-ounce container) pitted dates, hand chopped roughly
1 ½ cups boiling water
1 ½ cups sugar
2 ½ cups flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup walnuts, hand chopped roughly
2 tablespoons melted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Grease and flour or spray a 9×5-inch loaf pan.
3. In a small bowl, pour the boiling water over the dates. Let it stand for 5 minutes.
4. In the large bowl of your electric mixer, beat together on medium speed the sugar and the egg.
5. In a medium bowl mix the flour, baking powder and salt. Add this alternately to the mixer bowl with the dates and water and beat until it is incorporated.
6. Add the walnuts, melted butter, and vanilla extract on low speed until well mixed.
7. Pour into the prepared loaf pan.
8. Bake for 1 hour, or a little more. Tent the loaf bread with aluminum foil at the 40 minute mark to prevent excess browning on the top. Use a cake tester to test for doneness.
9. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then invert on to the wire rack to cool completely.
10. Store the date bread covered on top of the counter.
- Nutritional Information: Date Nut Bread
Servings Per Recipe: 16 Amount Per Serving: 1 slice
Calories: 222 Calories from Fat: 53
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 6g 9% Saturated Fat 1g 5 Cholesterol 11mg 4 Sodium 450mg 19 Total Carbohydrates 41g 14% Dietary Fiber 2g 6% Protein 2g 4% Sugars 25g
Vitamin A 1% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 1% Iron 6%