“My son Brian gave me this recipe when he was in college. He tasted it at a coffee hour at his church near Penn State. He raved enough about it that the ladies of the church told him the recipe was in their Faith Church cookbook. They didn’t have to convince him to buy that cookbook for his mom!
It was originally published as Rhubarb Crunch and the ingredients are doubled and made in a 13×9 inch pan for a large crowd. This version makes an 8 or 9-inch square pan.
This was the first time I added strawberries and I like it a lot! Either way, straight rhubarb, or rhubarb with strawberries, it is very delicious, crunchy, and very sweet with a little tartness from the rhubarb. Add ice cream or whipped cream, and you will taste a little bit of heaven! Enjoy!
1 cup flour
3/4 cup oatmeal
1 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup melted butter
4 1/2 cups fruit, rhubarb and strawberries, cut into chunks
1 cup white sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 cup water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8 or 9-inch square pan.
2. CRUMBS: Mix the flour, oatmeal, brown sugar, and cinnamon together.
3. Stir in the butter to form crumbs.
4. Press half of the crumb mixture into the prepared pan.
5. Cover the crumb mixture with the fruit. Set aside.
6. SAUCE: In a small saucepan, combine all the sauce ingredients together.
7. Cook over medium high heat until thick and bubbly.
8. Pour the sauce over the fruit.
9. Sprinkle the remaining crumbs on top of the fruit.
10. Bake for 1 hour.
11. Cool on a wire rack. Cover and store in the refrigerator.
12. Serve warm or cold.
Nutritional Information Strawberry Rhubarb Crunch
Amount Per Serving: about 3/4 cup
Calories: 395 Calories from Fat: 105
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 12g 18% Saturated Fat 8g 41% Cholesterol 30mg 10% Sodium 85mg 4% Total Carbohydrates 74g 25% Dietary Fiber 2g 9% Protein 3g 5%
Sugars 48g Vitamin A 8% Vitamin C 75% Calcium 1% Iron 6%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.