“I like to try recipes from the White House chefs and favorite recipes of presidents and first ladies. I figure they have to be good ones! I tried this recipe at the time of Barbara Bush’s passing in her honor and I am very glad I did! They are really delicious! They are very buttery, crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside. And there’s a little different spin on the classic recipe: it uses a combination of white sugar and brown sugar. I like that a lot! Enjoy!”
Makes: about 41 cookies
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
1 cup granulated white sugar
1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups quick-cooking oats (not instant)
12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
1. Preheat the oven to 350º.
2. Beat together on medium speed the butter, white sugar, brown sugar, eggs and vanilla extract in a large bowl until fluffy.
3. Add the flour, baking soda and salt and mix until well blended.
4. Add the oats and chocolate chips and beat just until mixed.
5. Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls two inches apart onto an ungreased cookie sheet.
6. Bake for 10 minutes or until lightly browned.
7. Transfer the cookies to a wire rack to cool.
8. (My note: If you like thinner cookies, flatten them with a spatula at the 8 minute mark.)
Nutritional Information: Barbara Bush’s Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies
Servings Per Recipe: 41 Amount Per Serving: 1 cookie
Calories: 111 Calories from Fat: 43
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 5g 7% Saturated Fat 3g 16% Cholesterol 19mg 6% Sodium 116mg 5% Total Carbohydrates 16g 5% Dietary Fiber 0g 2% Protein 1g 2% Sugars 9g Vitamin A 3%
Vitamin C 0% Calcium 0% Iron 2%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.0