I like to try recipes from the White House chefs and favorite recipes of presidents and first ladies. They are usually great recipes!
In honor of First Lady Barbara Bush, I tried this White House recipe at the time of her passing in April, 2018, and I am very glad I did!
They are really delicious! They are very buttery, crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside.
Barbara Bush’s Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies
These cookies were a favorite of the First Lady Barbara Bush and they are delicious! I love the two sugars combination, and the chocolate chips with the oatmeal! A winning recipe!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1 cup granulated white sugar
- 1 cup light brown sugar firmly packed
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups oats not instant
- 12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350º.
- With a mixer on medium speed, beat the butter, white sugar, brown sugar, eggs and vanilla extract until fluffy.
- Add the flour, baking soda, and salt and mix until well blended.
- Add the oats and chocolate chips and beat just until mixed.
- Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls two inches apart onto an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Transfer the cookies to a wire rack to cool.
- (My note: If you like thinner cookies, flatten them with a spatula at the 8 minute mark.)
VARIATION: Add some raisins or craisins if you’d like!
Calories: 168kcal | Carbohydrates: 22g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 20mg | Sodium: 129mg | Potassium: 80mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 13g | Vitamin A: 154IU | Calcium: 15mg | Iron: 1mg