Annie, my dear sister, was superb cook who aimed to please! Whenever I visited her in Rhode Island, she knew this dish was my first answer to her question, “What do you want me to make for you?”
While preparing it, she’d turn around from the pot with a smile and say, “Okay, I just added my secret ingredient!”
It took me several visits to realize she was just joking! There was no secret ingredient! She said the REAL SECRET is to let the flavor of the lobsters meld into the sauce for at least 24 hours in the refrigerator before using it!
I should have known, because she always shared her recipes freely, so she was teasing me with this one!
I can’t stress enough what a difference it makes to wait at least a day before using the sauce! Actually this is true for any fish sauce or seafood bisque!
This is yet another example where the technique is more important than the ingredients in the recipe.
Do not leave out the red pepper flakes! They don’t make it hot! They are important to the flavor!
Fettuccine with Lobster Sauce, Annie’s Best!
- Large Pot
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 18 ounces tomato paste
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 18 ounces water
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 pounds fettuccine or pasta of your choice
- 4 live lobsters small, about 1 pound each
- In a large pot, over medium heat, saute the oil, garlic, and black pepper for a few minutes until garlic is lightly browned.
- Stir in the tomato paste for a few minutes.
- Stir in the salt, water, and red pepper flakes.
- Raise the heat to high, bring it to a boil, then add in the live lobsters. Reduce the heat to medium low, and let it simmer for 1 hour.
- When the sauce has cooled down, put it in the refrigerator at least a day for the lobster flavor to meld into the sauce. You can leave it in the refrigerator for up to a week. The flavor enhances over time.
- When you are ready to make it, reheat the Lobster Sauce on medium low heat while you cook the fettuccine in salted water until done. Drain, and toss it with the Lobster Sauce and lobsters.