“If you are one of those die-hard rum raisin fans you have to try this adults only, kicked-up-a-notch, gourmet apple pie that is not hard to make at all. I adapted this recipe from Epicurious so you know it has to be great!
For an even stronger rum taste you can keep the cooked rum raisin mixture at room temperature in a covered container up to a day ahead.
I’ve seen those big fans of this flavor; they always order the rum raisin ice cream, and if there are rum raisin cookies around, forget everything else! I like rum raisin, but I’m not a die-hard, and I love this pie! This is great for the holidays. Enjoy!”
5 tablespoons rum
1/2 cup raisins
2/3 cup light brown sugar
3 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
7 cups apples (3 different kinds ranging from tart to sweet), cut into 1/2” wedges
2 refrigerated pie crust pastry dough rolls (or make your own favorite pie crust recipe)
1 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon lemon juice
2 teaspoons milk
1 tablespoon sugar
1. Place a heavy baking sheet on the center rack of the oven.
2. Preheat oven to 425º.
3. In a heavy saucepan over high heat, bring the rum and raisins to a boil. Do not let the liquid all evaporate. Remove the pan from the heat and let it stand for an hour.
4. Meanwhile, in a large bowl mix together the light brown sugar, flour, lemon zest, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Set aside.
5. Core and peel the apples and cut into one-half inch wedges.
6. Add the apples to the sugar mixture.
7. Add the raisins with the liquid and gently toss to combine. Set aside.
8. On a floured board, roll out one pie crust pastry dough roll for the bottom crust into a 12-inch circle.
9. Place it into a 9-inch pie plate, fitting it snuggly into the plate. Cut off any excess dough at the edge of pie plate.
10. Add the apple filling mixture into the pie plate.
11. Dot the filling with small pieces of butter all over the top.
12. Sprinkle the lemon juice all over the filling. Set aside.
13. On a floured board, roll out the second pie crust pastry dough roll for the top crust into a 12-inch circle.
14. Gently place it over the filling.
15. Tuck the extra dough under the bottom crust edge and press to seal the bottom and top crusts together. Raise the pie crust edge high and crimp all around it.
16. With a sharp knife cut 3 small lines on top of the pie to create steam vents.
17. Lightly brush the top of the pie with the milk.
18. Sprinkle the sugar on top of the milk.
19. Cover the edges of the crust with a pie shield.
20. Place the pie on top of the preheated baking sheet in the preheated oven and bake for 20 minutes.
21. Reduce the oven temperature to 375º and bake for 45-50 minutes more, or until the crust is golden and the filling is bubbly.
22. Cool the pie on a wire rack for 1 ½ hours.
23. Store the pie covered in the refrigerator.
Rum Raisin Apple Pie
Servings Per Recipe: 8
Amount Per Serving: 1
Calories from Fat: 133
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 16g 25%
Saturated Fat 7g 35%
Cholesterol 4mg 1%
Sodium 216mg 9%
Total Carbohydrates 65g 22%
Dietary Fiber 4g 14%
Protein 3g 5%
Vitamin A 1%
Vitamin C 4%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.