“For over 300 years, these cookies have been a tradition in the Slavic countries, but I discovered these fabulous Polish cookies in 2001 from a TV show. In those days you had to quickly write down the ingredients. Luckily there were only four! This cookie is spelled several different ways….kolacki, kolacky, kolache… all the same cookie with little regional variations. Kolackies are so similar to rugelachs, but the kolacki dough has a much lighter texture and for that reason they win over rugelach for me! I think they are just exquisite! I always make them with an assortment of fillings around the holidays. Be sure to use fruit filling (such as Solo brand) and not pie filling. The fruit filling is much thicker. Pie filling will just spread all over your pan and make a disaster of a mess! Another reason to love them is each cookie is only 42 calories and worth just 1 Weight Watcher Point. Enjoy!”
Servings: 50 Cooking Time: 12 minutes
INGREDIENTS:6 ounces cream cheese
1 cup butter
2 cups flour
2 (8-ounce) cans fruit filling (Solo brand)
1. Preheat the oven to 350°.
2. In a large bowl, mix the cream cheese, butter and flour until it forms a dough.
3. Wrap the dough in wax paper or saran wrap, or put the dough into a container and let it chill for 24 hours.
4. Roll the dough to ⅛- inch thickness.
5. Cut with a diamond cookie cutter or cut into 3-inch squares.
6. Spread one heaping teaspoon of fruit filling in the center of the diamond and then overlap two corners together. Seal the corners of the dough together using a dab of water to make them stick.
7. Place the kolackies onto ungreased cookie sheets.
8. Bake for 12 minutes or until they are golden brown on the bottom.
9. Remove the kolackis immediately from the cookie sheets and cool them on a wire rack.
10. When cooled, sprinkle with a dusting of confectioner’s sugar if you wish or leave them plain.
11. Store the kolacki in a covered tin or pan on top of the counter.
Nutritional Information: Kolacki Polish Cookies
Serving Size: 50 of a recipe
Servings Per Recipe: 1/50
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat: 24
* % Daily Value *
* Total Fat 3g 4%
* Saturated Fat 1g 5%
* Cholesterol 4mg 1%
* Sodium 41mg 2%
* Potassium – – %
* Total Carbohydrates 4g 1%
* Dietary Fiber 0g 0%
* Protein 0g 0%
* Sugars 0g
* Vitamin A 4%
* Vitamin C 0%
* Calcium 0%
* Iron 1%
* Thiamin – %
* Niacin – %
* Vitamin B6 – %
* Magnesium – %
* Folate – %
* * Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.