“Coffee and good quality chocolate, together in this adult cookie, is just out of this world! My chocoholic husband Bill, who doesn’t drink coffee but loves coffee ice cream, thinks these cookies are SO good! Actually, he can’t stop at just one!
Invest in the espresso powder. You can substitute instant coffee granules, but there is a subtle difference in espresso powder that kicks it up a notch! I love this cookie which is very appealing to adults it seems!
I adapted this recipe from the wonderful Ree Drummond, the Pioneer Woman in some ingredients and techniques. Enjoy!”
1 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla
2 -1/8 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon espresso powder
8 ounces baking chocolate, semi-sweet and bittersweet, cut into chunks
1. Preheat oven to 350º.
2. Spray or grease cookie sheets.
3. In a medium skillet, brown just ½ cup of the butter (1 stick). This should take about 3 minutes. When the butter is medium brown, remove it from the heat and pour it into a heat-proof dish. Place the dish in the freezer for 5 minutes (no longer!) to cool it completely.
4. In a large bowl, cream the other ½ cup butter, brown sugar, and sugar.
5. Beat in the eggs and vanilla until smooth.
6. Set the mixer to low-speed and drizzle in the cooled melted butter, mixing until combined. Set aside.
7. In a small bowl combine the flour, baking soda, salt, and espresso powder and add this to the creamed mixture until incorporated.
8. Stir in the chocolate chunks, saving about an 1/8 of a cup to sprinkle on top of the cookies.
9. Using a cookie scoop or heaping teaspoon, place cookies 2 inches apart onto the prepared cookie sheets.
10. Press the extra chocolate shavings and chunks on top of each cookie.
11. Bake for 10-12 minutes. At about 8 minutes, press the cookies down with a spatula to flatten them and continue baking. Cookies will be soft and light on the bottom, but will harden as they stand.
12. Immediately transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool.
13. Store cookies in a covered tin on the countertop.
Brown Butter Coffee Chocolate Chunk Cookies
Servings Per Recipe: 36
Amount Per Serving: 1
Calories from Fat: 68
* % Daily Value *
* Total Fat 8g 12%
* Saturated Fat 5g 25%
* Cholesterol 21mg 7%
* Sodium 132mg 6%
* Total Carbohydrates 16g 5%
* Dietary Fiber 0g 2%
* Protein 1g 3%
* Sugars 10g
* Vitamin A 4%
* Vitamin C 0%
* Calcium 0%
* Iron 2%
* * Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.