This soup has split peas in it, but it is not thick; it has a thin broth!
With the smoked sausage, salt, black pepper, and red pepper flakes, the seasoning amount has some heat, but not a lot. Start with the 1/4 teaspoon of red pepper flakes. Increase it to 1/2 teaspoon if you want more kick. If you don’t like heat at all, just eliminate the red pepper flakes. On the other hand, if you really like a lot of heat, use the 1/2 teaspoon of red pepper flakes. Taste the broth in the beginning. You can always add more black pepper and red pepper flakes to your liking.
Nothing could be easier than throwing everything but the sausage in the crockpot! You just set it and forget it! Choose either 8 hours or 4 hours!
Before you are ready to serve, brown the sausage slices for a few minutes on top of the stove and then add them to the soup. It is so yummy!
SAUSAGE: I prefer Portuguese chouriço sausage over Spanish chorizo sausage, but if you can’t find the chouriço, this soup is still fantastic with the Spanish chorizo. Both sausages are smoked and only need a few minutes on a skillet to heat through. Chouriço is a little more spicy, more robust, and to me, more tasty than the chorizo. The Portuguese chouriço may be harder to find, so use the Spanish chorizo.
Actually, this split pea soup base is so delicious for any smoked sausage or cooked ground meat you want! It will be yummy!
See how easy it is to make in the slideshow below!
Thin Split Pea Soup with Chouriço or Chorizo in a Crockpot
- 1 Crockpot (Slow Cooker)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups water
- 1 pound potatoes chopped, white or sweet potatoes
- 2 cups dried split peas
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 carrots sliced
- 6 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- ¼- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- ¾ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pound smoked chorizo sausage Spanish sausage, sliced or chouriço Portuguese sausage
- Put all ingredients except the sausage into your crockpot or slow cooker. Cook on LOW for 8 hours or on HIGH for 4 hours.
- Before serving, brown the sausage slices in a skillet for about 5 minutes until they are heated through, then add them to the crockpot. Take a little taste of the broth to see if the salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes are to your liking. Add more kick if you desire, then serve!