This Zucchini Chocolate Chip Snack Cake tastes delicious! A pick-up cake; no need for a fork!
You really don’t need frosting either, but if you want to add one, go ahead! I like it both ways!
You will taste just a small hint of spices! There is ground cinnamon and cloves in it. The buttermilk and zucchini make it nice and moist!
It is a great way to use up a couple of zucchinis too!
This recipe makes a 13x9x2-inch pan. You can use the Recipe Amount Adjuster to cut it in half and use a 9-inch square pan. I do that if I have just one large zucchini to use up.
See pictures how I make it in the slideshow below.
Zucchini Chocolate Chip Snack Cake
This could become your favorite snack cake! It has chocolate chips on top. The zucchini and buttermilk make it nice and soft and moist!
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 2 tablespoon baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups zucchini unpeeled, shredded or grated
- 2 cups chocolate chips (12 ounces)
- Preheat the oven to 350 ° F.
- Grease or spray a 13×9-inch oblong pan.
- With an electric mixer on medium speed, cream the butter and sugar together.
- Add the oil, eggs, and vanilla extract and mix well.
- In a small bowl, mix the flour, baking cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and ground cloves. Add it to the creamed mixture.
- Add the buttermilk. Mix well.
- Add the zucchini, mix well on low speed. Scrape the sides of the bowl.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan.
- Sprinkle the chocolate chips evenly over the batter.
- Bake at 350° F. for 25-30 minutes. Test for doneness with a cake tester inserted in the middle. Do not overbake.
- Remove the pan to a wire rack to cool. (Optional: Top with a vanilla or chocolate glaze.) Cut into squares.
For a smaller 9-inch snack cake, use the recipe adjuster to easily reduce the ingredients in half. 18 servings gives large squares, 354 calories each. If you cut it into 24 pieces, you’ll have just 265 calories for a piece of cake. If you can eat just one! Optional: Add a vanilla or chocolate glaze on top if you’d like.
Calories: 354kcal | Carbohydrates: 47g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 6g | Trans Fat: 0.2g | Cholesterol: 32mg | Sodium: 129mg | Potassium: 139mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 32g | Vitamin A: 223IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 39mg | Iron: 1mg