This Zucchini Chocolate Chip Snack Cake tastes delicious! A pick-up cake; no need for a fork!
You really don’t need frosting either, but if you want to add one, go ahead! I like it both ways!
You will taste just a small hint of spices! There is ground cinnamon and cloves in it. The buttermilk and zucchini make it nice and moist!
It is a great way to use up a couple of zucchinis too!
This recipe makes a 13x9x2-inch pan. You can use the Recipe Amount Adjuster to cut it in half and use a 9-inch square pan. I do that if I have just one large zucchini to use up.
See pictures how I make it in the slideshow below.
Zucchini Chocolate Chip Snack Cake
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 2 tablespoon baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups zucchini unpeeled, shredded or grated
- 2 cups chocolate chips (12 ounces)
- Preheat the oven to 350 ° F.
- Grease or spray a 13×9-inch oblong pan.
- With an electric mixer on medium speed, cream the butter and sugar together.
- Add the oil, eggs, and vanilla extract and mix well.
- In a small bowl, mix the flour, baking cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and ground cloves. Add it to the creamed mixture.
- Add the buttermilk. Mix well.
- Add the zucchini, mix well on low speed. Scrape the sides of the bowl.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan.
- Sprinkle the chocolate chips evenly over the batter.
- Bake at 350° F. for 25-30 minutes. Test for doneness with a cake tester inserted in the middle. Do not overbake.
- Remove the pan to a wire rack to cool. (Optional: Top with a vanilla or chocolate glaze.) Cut into squares.