My son asks for these bars! They are so popular and everyone has their own version. Well, here is mine. Magic Cookie Bars, also known as Hello Dolly Bars or Coconut Dream Bars or 7-Layer Bars, is one of the easiest bar recipe to make ever! All you do is add layer after layer! There is NO mixing!
The original recipe for Magic Cookie Bars came out in the mid-1960’s, when HELLO DOLLY was on Broadway. Over time, people have customized the layers to suit their tastes! There are many variations!
Mine pictured is Magic Rainbow Bars with colored M& M’s but I like to keep it half chocolate chips and half M&M colored candies. Some people like to use butterscotch chips. However you want to make Magic Cookie Bars, they are so-oo good!
This bar is a favorite not only of my son, but of many friends and family members. I make it throughout the year on holidays using the holiday chocolate chips and holiday M&M’s that come out only during the special holiday times. The companies make red and green chocolate chips and M&M’s, Spring colored ones, red, white, and blue ones, and Fall colored ones. So these bars appear a lot during the year!
See the EASY layering in the slideshow below!
Magic Cookie Bars with M&M’s
- ½ cup butter
- 1 ½ cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 ⅓ cups flaked coconut
- 1 cup walnuts chopped, or nuts of your choice, optional
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- ½ cup M&M’s chocolate candies
- Preheat the oven to 350°, or 325° for a glass dish.
- LAYER #1: In a 13×9-inch baking pan, melt the butter in the microwave and pour it into the pan. Alternatively, put the butter in the pan and melt it in the oven.
- LAYER #2: Sprinkle the graham cracker crumbs over the butter.
- LAYER #3: Pour the sweetened condensed milk evenly over the crumbs.
- LAYER #4: Sprinkle the coconut evenly over the top.
- LAYER #5: Sprinkle the walnuts evenly over the top.
- LAYER #6: Sprinkle the chocolate chips evenly over the top.
- LAYER # 7: Sprinkle the M&M’s evenly over the top.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cool in the pan on a wire rack. Cut them into bars when completely cooled.
- Store the bars covered at room temperature.