These beautiful Christmas Refrigerator Slice and Bake Cookies not only look festive with the red and green cherries, but they are SO delicious!
The bottoms get browned and the tops stay white. They are a CRISPY cookie.
The dough is very easy to make in less than 5 minutes! It has chopped pecans, but use whatever chopped nuts you like, or leave them out completely. The cookies will still be delicious.
OPTIONAL: You can put sprinkles on the outer edges of the cookies 2 ways.
1) You can roll the whole log in sprinkles before you refrigerate it. Or
2) After you chill the logs, cut the slices and then roll the rim of each slice in sprinkles.
OR: You can leave them plain!
When I make these, I like to leave half the batch plain and decorate the other half. Some of us like them plain, some like the sprinkles. I try to please everyone!
See the slideshow below for more pictures.
Cherry Christmas Slice and Bake Cookies
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 ¼ cups flour
- 1 cup pecans chopped
- 1 cup red candied cherries cut in half
- 1 cup green candied cherries cut in half
- With a mixer on medium speed, cream the butter and confectioner’s sugar until well-mixed.
- Add the egg and vanilla extract and beat until fluffy.
- On lowest speed, add in the flour and mix well until it makes a soft dough.
- On lowest speed, mix in the pecans for just a few seconds. You don't want the dough to turn a brown color from overmixing in the pecans.
- On lowest speed, briefly, for just 2 or 3 seconds, mix in the red and green cherries. Do not over mix. You don’t want the cherry colors to bleed into the dough.
- Shape the dough into 10-inch long logs and wrap them in waxed paper.
- Chill the logs for 1 hour. (You can keep refrigerated for a few days if you want.)
- Preheat the oven to 325°.
- Use a very thin knife to cut the logs into ⅛- inch slices.
- Place the slices on an ungreased or parchment-lined cookie sheet pan.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the bottoms are a golden brown.
- Remove the cookies from the pan and cool them on a wire rack.
- Store the cookies covered at room temperature.