This recipe is tailor-made for my husband Bill, done the way he likes Vodka sauce – lots of bacon, lots of Vodka, and very creamy.
He is a Vodka sauce expert and he has a favorite restaurant where he always orders it. But he says my recipe is just like it! I take that as a huge compliment!
The sauce takes less time to make than boiling the pasta! It’s that quick!
See the slideshow below to see how easy it is to make!
Bill’s Penne alla Vodka
- 6 slices bacon
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 can (28 ounces) tomato puree
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper ground
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes crushed
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup Vodka
- 1 pound penne pasta
- ½ cup pasta water
- Boil salted water in a large pot for the pasta.
- Meanwhile, in another saucepot, cook the bacon over medium heat until almost done.
- Remove the saucepot from the heat so you can use a kitchen scissors to cut the bacon into small bits. I do not drain the bacon fat. You can if you want to.
- Bring the saucepot back to medium heat.
- Add the butter and garlic, sauté for a minute to soften the garlic.
- Stir in the tomato paste.
- Add the tomato puree, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, and brown sugar, mixing well.
- Stir in the heavy cream.
- Add the Vodka and simmer for about 5 minutes on low heat.
- Drain the pasta, reserving one-half cup of pasta water.
- Toss the pasta with the Vodka sauce. Add in the pasta water if it looks too thick.
- Serve with grated Romano cheese.