“My husband Bill orders French onion soup every time he goes out, but he says this homemade version is the best he’s ever had! So you can enjoy gourmet French onion soup at home, but please do not be intimidated by it at all! It is not hard! This is the best onion soup you will ever have!
I often cut the recipe in half to make enough for 3 and use the MICROWAVE instead of the oven. So easy!
The wine is a subtle taste that melds wonderfully with the onions and cheese. But if you don’t want to use the wine, substitute it with water! This is SO delicious! Enjoy!”
1/4 cup butter
1 teaspoon sugar
2 onions, sliced thinly
1 tablespoon flour
2-1/2 cups water
1/2 cup red wine
2 cans (10.5 ounces each) condensed beef broth
1 baguette (French bread)
8 ounces mozzarella or Swiss cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 425º.
2. Place 6 oven-proof soup crocks onto a cookie sheet.
3. In a 4 quart saucepan melt the butter.
4. Stir in the sugar and onions over medium heat and cook for about 5 minutes or until onions are golden brown.
5. Stir in the flour, water, wine and beef broth. Heat it to boiling, then reduce the heat to low. Cover the soup and simmer it for 10 minutes.
6. Cut the baguette into 1 inch thick slices. Toast the slices on the light setting.
7. Ladle the soup into the soup crocks.
8. Place 1 or 2 slices of toast on top of the soup.
9. Fold a few slices of cheese over the bread slices.
10. Bake for 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
11. An alternative to oven baking is to put the soup crocks in the microwave on high uncovered for 45 seconds. If your soup crocks have lids like mine do, let them cook for 1 ½ minutes in the microwave or until cheese is melted. Using the microwave is lot quicker and easier, but you cannot fit in 6 at a time. It is great if you are cutting the recipe in half. It is up to you. Both methods give excellent results!
12. Serve immediately.
French Onion Soup~ the Best!
Servings Per Recipe: 6
Amount Per Serving: 1 soup crock
Calories from Fat: 175
* % Daily Value *
* Total Fat 19g 29%
* Saturated Fat 13g 64%
* Cholesterol 58mg 19%
* Sodium 123mg 5%
* Total Carbohydrates 3g 1%
* Dietary Fiber 1g 2%
* Protein 11g 19%
* Sugars 1g
* Vitamin A 14%
* Vitamin C 7%
* Calcium 33%
* Iron 0%
* * Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.0