We order French onion soup very often when we eat out, and Bill says this homemade version is the best he’s ever had!
You can enjoy gourmet French onion soup at home!
Do not be intimidated by it at all! It is not hard!
If I cut the recipe in half to make 3 instead of 6, I use the microwave instead of the oven. See the Tip on the bottom of the recipe for the microwave instructions.
The wine is a subtle taste that melds wonderfully with the onions and cheese, but you can use water instead if you prefer!
French Onion Soup~The Best!
Enjoy gourmet French Onion Soup at home, it is not hard to make! This is a great recipe!
- 6 Oven-Proof Soup Crocks
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 onions sliced thinly
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 ½ cups water
- ½ cups red wine
- 21 ounces beef broth
- 1 French baguette
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese or Swiss cheese
- Preheat the oven to 425º.
- Place 6 oven-proof soup crocks onto a cookie sheet. Set aside.
- On top of the stove on medium heat, melt the butter in a 4-quart saucepan.
- Add in the sugar and onions and sauté it for 5 minutes or until the onions are golden brown.
- Whisk in the flour, water, beef broth and wine if you are using it. Cook this until it comes to a boil, then reduce the heat to low. Cover the soup and let it simmer for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut the baguette into 1-inch-thick slices. Toast the slices on the light setting.
- Ladle the soup into the soup crocks.
- Place 1 or 2 slices of toast on top of the soup.
- Fold slices of the cheese over the toast.
- Bake at 425º for 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- Serve immediately.
BEEF BROTH: 21 ounces equals 2 cans (10.5 ounces each) MICROWAVE: An alternative to oven baking is to put the soup crocks in the microwave on high uncovered for 45 seconds, or until the cheese is melted. Using the microwave is lot quicker and easier, but you cannot fit 6 at a time. It is great if you are cutting the recipe in half. Both methods give excellent results!
Calories: 340kcal | Carbohydrates: 27g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 5g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 50mg | Sodium: 936mg | Potassium: 211mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 493IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 245mg | Iron: 2mg
I knew Bill and I were partners for a reason! I LOVE french onion soup!! Thanks for the recipe. Love and miss you both .
haha, Diane! I cannot believe all the fans of French Onion Soup there are! I thought it had a very limited fan base! I think a lot of people eat it out though. This is really amazing! Try it! Miss you guys too!